Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dance

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dance

These are some images taken at the temple in Nandgaon, India on the first day of the Holi celebrations. Formal dance appears to place an important role in the celebrations. There is also a component of cross-dressing / transvestite participation at the festival.

This was definitely not an ideal shooting situation as the temple courtyard was quite crowded and finding a good shooting position was rather "fluid". On the first day of the festival, there was little water sprayed and little gulal in use, so I was able to carry two camera that did not have dust / water protection in place.

1. Closeup of one of the dancers

Dance

2. Another dancer sitting among the rest of the dancers.

Dance

3. A 3/4 shot taken during a dance

Dance

4. An a full body shot of another dancer

Dance

5. Not all of the women dancers were, well women.

Dance

6. And of course, there is always a level of audience participation towards the end of the dance

Dance

Real Name
    Jean

Re: Dance

Another nice colorful series Manfred.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by bje07 View Post
    Another nice colorful series Manfred.
    Thanks Jean - India is a very colourful country. That is why I really enjoy photographing there.

One thing I find quite interesting is that a lot of Indian photographers do a lot of B&W work. I've never gotten an acceptable answer as to why that is.

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Susan

+1 to the above. Great intensity in that first shot and #4 is wonderful all the way down to her red hennaed (sp) feet. The man dancer is pretty priceless.
    Even without the color an abundance of texture remains but it is interesting to think about. The chaos of color is heart stopping beautiful to me.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Thanks Jean - India is a very colourful country. That is why I really enjoy photographing there.

One thing I find quite interesting is that a lot of Indian photographers do a lot of B&W work. I've never gotten an acceptable answer as to why that is.
    Nice captures, as always!

I wonder if Indian photographers might not suffer from visual overload with the preponderance of bright colors surrounding them at all times? People tend to react to their environment in an inverse manner. Just like the very colorful houses in Iceland and some other Nordic areas; in an area that is predominantly blue-gray for large parts of the year...

Nice series, Manfred. The intricacy of the costumes and body adornment is amazing. I particularly like the first "close up" and the man dancing. Interesting story too!