Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting conundrum - Answers sought

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Lighting conundrum - Answers sought

If it was my challenge I would take the best shot i could and then go into post processing and put in the warmth through a gradient mask?

Real Name
    Steve

Might be fun just to experiment a bit since I haven't got a clue how to proceed; how about one of the experiments being a flash on a tripod near those deck chairs but in a spot that can easily be cloned out, but I thought about merging two differently exposed images taken very close together. Is it possible to move the van nearer the light bank facing more this way?

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I explained (in this thread) what I'm doing with a young couple who have a mobile food van on Kingsbarns Beach, about an hour from home.

The pic below shows that van in situ beside the beach. Look at the shadows. The point I want you to note is that the front of the van faces north-east (northern hemisphere) and gets no direct sunlight (well, it does at about 4am in June/July, but there aren't many people about at that time!).

THE QUESTION - So, facing the van, with glorious sunlight high up swinging around from at the 9 o'clock position to directly behind the van at the 12 o'clock position (this shot was at 1:33pm), how would you light the front of the van to make it look warm and sunny?

I have my 2 x 600w Lencarta Safari2 portable lights and one Canon 580 EXII Flashgun. I have triggers so that I can have the 2 heads and the Speedlite firing together.

I have umbrellas and softboxes and a barndoors set.

Would love to hear ideas and thoughts from you folks that have a lot more artificial lighting experience than me.
    Donald, If you are doing this to provide them with good advertising photos, then they'll have to accommodate you to get what they want. Beside all the other bits of staging (pretty, scantily clad young nubile cutomers, etc., etc.,) that have been suggested, positioning the trailer to place it in the most favorable light (figuratively as well as actually) is a must and so, for the one time that it is required they'll need to cooperate with you and orient the trailer as you require.
    For me this is a no-brainer.
    Robert
    Last edited by Manfred M; 30th March 2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Fixed quote box

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by RBSinTo View Post
    . . . If you are doing this to provide them with good advertising photos, then they'll have to accommodate you to get what they want.
    Having read the two relevant threads, three times each; I am not sure that has been established as a fact.

Beside all the other bits of staging (pretty, scantily clad young nubile cu[s]tomers, etc., etc.,) that have been suggested . . .
    Prior to employing those Actors as Props, it would have to be established with the Client that said Props would be in concert with the Client's Business’s Branding.

For example, if the Client's Customers and Pitch were to "Mums and Dads and Families" - then "scantily clad young nubile customers" in the frame, could be an huge physiological deterrent to The Pitch of the (advertising) Image.

. . . positioning the trailer to place it in the most favorable light (figuratively as well as actually) is a must and so, for the one time that it is required they'll need to cooperate with you and orient the trailer as you require. For me this is a no-brainer. . .
    Assuming that it is given that this is indeed an absolute and total "Commercial Shoot" - please explain why, from the point of view as an experienced Commercial Photographer, it becomes "a must" to "positioning the trailer to place it in the most favorable light" and that "they'll need to cooperate with you and orient the trailer as you require."

WW

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Having read the two relevant threads, three times each; I am not sure that has been established as a fact.

Prior to employing those Actors as Props, it would have to be established with the Client that said Props would be in concert with the Client's Business’s Branding.

For example, if the Client's Customers and Pitch were to "Mums and Dads and Families" - then "scantily clad young nubile customers" in the frame, could be an huge physiological deterrent to The Pitch of the (advertising) Image.

Assuming that it is given that this is indeed an absolute and total "Commercial Shoot" - please explain why, from the point of view as an experienced Commercial Photographer, it becomes "a must" to "positioning the trailer to place it in the most favorable light" and that "they'll need to cooperate with you and orient the trailer as you require."

WW
    Really???????
    I hope you didn't stay up all night parsing my thread and coming up with your reply.
    Robert

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Might be fun just to experiment a bit since I haven't got a clue how to proceed; how about one of the experiments being a flash on a tripod near those deck chairs but in a spot that can easily be cloned out, but I thought about merging two differently exposed images taken very close together. Is it possible to move the van nearer the light bank facing more this way?
    Thanks for causing a light-bulb to go on in my senile head.

Donald could leave it all as-is, ask folks to hold still a sec, take a 5 or more bracketed shots and put them together in a HDR or Fusion app.

So, as regards large white sheets: "the answer, my friend is [not] blowing in the wind" - with apologies to Peter, Paul & Mary.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

I have been giving this some thought and reading other's responses, but to my mind, there are still too many unknowns to provide you with a helpful answer - primarily, we need to see the framing of the shot(s) you/they want to capture, since I gather it is not intended to be just a version of this with a brighter front to the van.*

While the image supplied in the first post is immensely helpful in seeing an overview of the location, without knowing what you're trying to achieve, it's impossible to advise.

e.g.
    where will you be shooting from?
    how much of the front (and inside) of the van is to be included?
    do you want to show faces?
    food being served?
    customers?
    and there are many more questions ...

I suspect the answer to many/all those questions is "nobody knows" at this stage, so perhaps the list will help you.

* This said, there is some benefit to the shot, the fact there's ample parking, a nice beach, etc. will be useful for leaflets distributed in town for people that don't know the place.

Another thought was whether the flagpole could be used, perhaps temporarily, for running up and advertising flag
    Although then people may look for it when arriving - is the flagpole theirs? Or does it serve a beach/swimming safety advisory purpose?

I'm not so sure that showing a long queue is wise; it may put some people off, especially anyone with a young family in tow.

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st March 2017 at 07:08 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Really???????
    I hope you didn't stay up all night parsing my thread and coming up with your reply.
    Robert
    Yes – “really”.

It was a sincere and professional response.

No staying up late to parse anything.

Merely addressing the points which you published as your advice to the Original Post and thus to the CiC readership in general.

In summary:

> Firstly – it occurs to me that it is certainly has not been established that it is a Commercial Shoot.

> Secondly – even (as you suggest) IF it is a Commercial Shoot – then the question still remains –

“please explain why, from the point of view as an experienced Commercial Photographer, it becomes "a must" to "positioning the trailer to place it in the most favorable light" and that "they'll need to cooperate with you and orient the trailer as you require."

WW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12