Thread: Monks

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Monks

Tibetan Buddhist monks in particular. There were relatively few Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Tibet when I look at the large number we saw clustered into a small area near Leh in Ladakh, India. Here are a few shots of individual monks I pulled out of my trip files:

1. Monk at Spituk Gustor festival in the Spituk Monastery

Monks

2. Monk with incense burner at Liker Monastery

Monks

3. Animated monk - Hemis Monastery

Monks
    Last edited by Manfred M; 28th March 2017 at 12:33 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Monks

Very nice set of portraits Manfred. I like them all but the first probably more than the other two. The second one is interesting for the contrast between ancient and modern and the mural looks vaguely Japanese but of course it won't be.

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Nice series but what are those white dots in #1? Just curious why you left them...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Nice series but what are those white dots in #1? Just curious why you left them...
    Snow flakes - the Spituk Gustor festival took place at the end of January in the Himalayas and there were intermittent snow showers that happened throughout our time at this event.

Why did I not remove them? The same reason I leave raindrops in a scene. They are part of the shot.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 28th March 2017 at 11:50 AM.

Real Name
    Jean

First is better IMO in term of light.
    # 2 a piece of shoe needs to be eliminate (RHS)
    # 3 harsh light too white for me.
    However nice shots.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by bje07 View Post
    First is better IMO in term of light.
    # 2 a piece of shoe needs to be eliminate (RHS)
    # 3 harsh light too white for me.
    However nice shots.
    Thanks - I must still be jet lagged. I totally overlooked the shoe; fixed now...

With respect to the bright light in #3; the white walls and a sunny winter day at those altitudes and this is the reality of the situation. The glare under those conditions is quite a problem

Real Name
    Jean

With respect to the bright light in #3; the white walls and a sunny winter day at those altitudes and this is the reality of the situation. The glare under those conditions is quite a problem
    I won't be there

I think the brightness in #3 is necessary to show how glaring the sun was and reinforces the squint, it's part of the story.

For the same reason you gave for keeping the snow flakes I could see an argument for keeping the shoe - they remind us that shoes need to be removed when entering a house and they European style contrasts against the simpler footwear of the monk - and they were there!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Thanks - I must still be jet lagged. I totally overlooked the shoe; fixed now...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    For the same reason you gave for keeping the snow flakes I could see an argument for keeping the shoe - they remind us that shoes need to be removed when entering a house and they European style contrasts against the simpler footwear of the monk - and they were there!
    The shoes, I agree with but what Jean was referring to was a tiny bit of a single shoe sitting on the step and that was an element that wasn't working for me either. The shoes in the image need to be there. Removing one's shoes before entering is customary in Buddhist and Hindu temples.

Ah, I guess I came along after the image was modified, I saw only the pair of shoes!

I must say I am very envious of your fabulous trip, travelling makes us appreciate what a rich and diverse world we live in, and some amazing cultures that while different are what works in their locations. I think it does something to reduce intolerance.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Ah, I guess I came along after the image was modified, I saw only the pair of shoes!
    I think so too.

I must say I am very envious of your fabulous trip, travelling makes us appreciate what a rich and diverse world we live in, and some amazing cultures that while different are what works in their locations. I think it does something to reduce intolerance.
    Unfortunately, intolerance is something I have run into a lot in my travels. A lot of people seem to think it is a Caucasian issue, but nothing could be further than the truth. I've been called a Gaijin to my face in Japan, a Gringo in Central America and a Ferengi in the Horn of Africa.

The amount of intolerance I have seen in communities around the world really astounds me as people feel free to discriminate against anyone who does not fit into the majority of the local demographic; be that ethnic origin, religion or tribal roots. At least is the Western countries, many (but certainly not all) people recognize this is a problem that needs to be reduced. Elsewhere, there is definitely state-sponsored and supported discrimination.

Real Name
    raymond

Terrific captures and well executed , seems like a great trip to a different world and a peaceful one at that.

Real Name
    Jeffrey

I like these shots very much! Amazing texture,contrast of lighting and fantastic feeling, like peeking into the ancient legend! shots with a lot of history. Well done.