Thread: Walking in the street

Real Name
    Ahmet

Walking in the street

Walking in the street

Real Name
    Kris Tent

Re: Walking in the street

interestingly, the energy of this photo sends us looking in 2 different directions: the triangle line is strong but the man's energy leads our eye to the right causing some confusion for the observer.

Real Name
    Jean

Where did you focus?
    Sorry but your picture lack of sharpness, maybe also a speed too low for a moving subject laterally?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ahmet,

While I like the concept - and the exposure and white balance are good - I fear the execution has suffered a little in other areas.

Looking at the EXIF, it was shot at 1/200s, f/4 at 500 iso at 30mm (45mm FFE) on a Sony ILCE-6000.

He must have been going quite fast because he is mostly soft, apart from his trailing shoe, which remains sharpest due to lack of movement.

Also, I'm not sure where the focus plane is; the blinds in the window seem to be better resolved than most other things.

My apologies for being so negative, Dave

PS I now see Jean has raised similar queries, I must write quicker

Real Name
    Binnur

+1 to the comments above Ahmet. IMO your shutter speed has to be at least 1/500 for such a shot.So, may be next time

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I like the composition, but the technical execution as already mentioned lets the image down.

Additional to the Technical Critique already mentioned, I think that the camera could have been being panned (not at the same pace as the Subject's Walking) when the Shutter was released, this could explain the (apparent) better resolution of the slats in the blinds in the background which Dave especially mentioned; hence, if correct, I think that the Plane of Sharp Focus was likely on the man.

As a result, I think the there are three main Technical consideration that you might choose to review for similar shots:

1. the usage of Shutter Priority Mode (meaning how the Mode is used - specifically the CHOICE of Shutter Speed to suit the Shooting Scenario

2. the choice of an high enough ISO to allow the slowest Shutter Speed to be capable to arrest Subject Motion and also Camera Motion for the Shooting Scenario (even though EXIF reveals that the Image Stabilization was active, there are limits to what Stabilization can achieve if the camera is moving - and note that Stabilization does NOT arrest Subject Motion Blur)

3. practice smooth follow-action panning

You have plenty of good quality high range ISO in your Sony 6000, consider bumping to ISO 3200 for that type of shot.

WW

PS - Hi Dave - the man might not have been walking all that fast, what I mean is not "fast" relative to what we might consider "normal" walking pace. The amount of the Motion Blur apparent could be because of a relatively close Subject Distance (related to the Framing of the Shot and the Focal Length used).
    Last edited by William W; 28th March 2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: reworded for better clarity and added PS

Real Name
    John

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Quote Originally Posted by kristent View Post
    interestingly, the energy of this photo sends us looking in 2 different directions: the triangle line is strong but the man's energy leads our eye to the right causing some confusion for the observer.
    Thank you very much for the feedback Kris.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Quote Originally Posted by bje07 View Post
    Where did you focus?
    Sorry but your picture lack of sharpness, maybe also a speed too low for a moving subject laterally?
    Thank you very much for the feedback Jean.
    Last edited by ahmetmacitsahin; 29th March 2017 at 07:17 PM.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Ahmet,

While I like the concept - and the exposure and white balance are good - I fear the execution has suffered a little in other areas.

Looking at the EXIF, it was shot at 1/200s, f/4 at 500 iso at 30mm (45mm FFE) on a Sony ILCE-6000.

He must have been going quite fast because he is mostly soft, apart from his trailing shoe, which remains sharpest due to lack of movement.

Also, I'm not sure where the focus plane is; the blinds in the window seem to be better resolved than most other things.

My apologies for being so negative, Dave

PS I now see Jean has raised similar queries, I must write quicker
    Hi Dave,
    Thank you very much for the feedback. Your comments and critics are very valuable for me. These critics do not demoralize me. They help me to improve in photography. I am still beginner and there are a lot to learn .

Real Name
    Ahmet

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice shot.
    Thank you John.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    +1 to the comments above Ahmet. IMO your shutter speed has to be at least 1/500 for such a shot.So, may be next time
    Thank you for the feedback Binnur.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

+1 to William. I like the composition too -- the triangles from the top of his head to his back leg and the barrels completing the whole structure. Since others already mentioned the faults, I am not adding to it. I like it actually.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I like the composition, but the technical execution as already mentioned lets the image down.

Additional to the Technical Critique already mentioned, I think that the camera could have been being panned (not at the same pace as the Subject's Walking) when the Shutter was released, this could explain the (apparent) better resolution of the slats in the blinds in the background which Dave especially mentioned; hence, if correct, I think that the Plane of Sharp Focus was likely on the man.

As a result, I think the there are three main Technical consideration that you might choose to review for similar shots:

1. the usage of Shutter Priority Mode (meaning how the Mode is used - specifically the CHOICE of Shutter Speed to suit the Shooting Scenario

2. the choice of an high enough ISO to allow the slowest Shutter Speed to be capable to arrest Subject Motion and also Camera Motion for the Shooting Scenario (even though EXIF reveals that the Image Stabilization was active, there are limits to what Stabilization can achieve if the camera is moving - and note that Stabilization does NOT arrest Subject Motion Blur)

3. practice smooth follow-action panning

You have plenty of good quality high range ISO in your Sony 6000, consider bumping to ISO 3200 for that type of shot.

WW

PS - Hi Dave - the man might not have been walking all that fast, what I mean is not "fast" relative to what we might consider "normal" walking pace. The amount of the Motion Blur apparent could be because of a relatively close Subject Distance (related to the Framing of the Shot and the Focal Length used).
    Thank you very much for the feedback Bill.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    +1 to William. I like the composition too -- the triangles from the top of his head to his back leg and the barrels completing the whole structure. Since others already mentioned the faults, I am not adding to it. I like it actually.
    Thank you for the feedback Izzie.