Thread: The Wear Crossing

Real Name
    Robin

The Wear Crossing

Nipped along to a new bridge that is being constructed over the River Wear at teatime - I think its going to be a new favourite spot....

The Wear Crossing

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: The Wear Crossing

That's quite a photo (and bridge). Whereabouts on the Wear is the bridge? Many many moons ago, I lived in a college room near the Wear at Durham.

Real Name
    John

Nicely composed.

Real Name
    Philip

It is a good composition with great mirror symmetry, and the bridge looks as though it will be a spectacular landmark structure when completed. In this image, presumably the positioning of the tower complies with the 'rule of thirds' but, just as a matter of interest, I wondered if you have a shot that also includes the right hand side of the bridge.

Cheers.
    Philip

(P.S. It seems unusual for it to be constructed at teatime. )

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    That's quite a photo (and bridge). Whereabouts on the Wear is the bridge? Many many moons ago, I lived in a college room near the Wear at Durham.
    Further along towards the coast from Durham about a mile from the Queen Alexandra bridge and another mile or less further to the main Sunderland bridge. It will come off the main road into Sunderland and it meant to take the strain from the other older bridges - not sure how well this will work but I don't mind having something new to photograph.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    It is a good composition with great mirror symmetry, and the bridge looks as though it will be a spectacular landmark structure when completed. In this image, presumably the positioning of the tower complies with the 'rule of thirds' but, just as a matter of interest, I wondered if you have a shot that also includes the right hand side of the bridge.

Cheers.
    Philip

(P.S. It seems unusual for it to be constructed at teatime. )
    Good observation - I struggled and fought the composition all the way through taking these shots and did want a more centralised finished photo but couldn't get one I liked. The sun was coming through the clouds (you can see it in this shot) so including more to the right produced a massive hot spot that even major bracketing couldn't help with. The bank of the river is a bit grim with mud (lots of mud) and rubbish and scraggy trees and they all interfered with the foreground making a shot swung to the right messy, I would have needed to wade out a few yards to get rid of them but theres a limit to how far I'll do for art This was shot with a crop camera and a 12mm, so still fairly wide, but even then I struggled to get everything in....I do have a mate with a D810 and a 14-24mm though, wonder if he's up for an hour getting wet.

Real Name
    Peter

Well done for venturing to the side of the River Wear, just the hint of mud in the bottom right corner would have made me think twice. Great reflections of the tower and cranes, well done.