Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Not a shot I took but I did find it. Have a sacred Easter

Real Name
    Brian

Not a shot I took but I did find it. Have a sacred Easter

About 20 years ago I was attending the Divinity School connected to Silliman University. One day I dropped into the pastors office while they were doing a little spring cleaning. I looked in an old shoe box and found 17 black and white post cardish photos. Seems that the JESUITS had decided to use a traditional Chinese Jesus to help with the conversion attempt in China. They also used traditional Chinese characters to portray various biblical characters. I quickly headed over to the office of the same fellow that just built my computer and he put them all on disc. Doing a bit of my own spring cleaning today I found the disc.

Not a shot I took but I did find it. Have a sacred Easter
    Last edited by JBW; 2nd April 2017 at 10:33 AM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Not a shot I took but I did find it. Have a sacred Easter

Very interesting to me...thanks for posting

Real Name
    Paul David

Very interesting take. Interestingly I was the only sibling in my family who did not attend a Jesuit school. The Jesuits certainly have a good reputation in education.

Real Name
    Brian

Just a little information on the probable painter and yes I may have been mistaken about these pieces being Jesuit but they were also doing the same type of artwork:

'In 1926, the Christian artist Shen Zi Gao, a minister in the Anglican Church (later he became a bishop) set up the "St. Luke Studio" in Nanjing with the goal to promote Christian artistic creation. Artist Xu San Chun ,who worked at the Railway Bureau, came to join him, and became a baptized Christian under his influence. Xu painted many Christian art works in the traditional Chinese painting style, such as: "Visit of The Magi"," Three Wise Men Come To Worship" (Picture 15), "Jesus and the Woman of Samaria," "Washing the Disciples' Feet"..In "Visit of The Magi", Xu depicted the three wise men as three typical Chinese in their traditional culture: the one on his knees was depicted as a Buddhist monk, the one who stood behind him on the right was depicted as a Confucian scholar and the one who stood in the middle with a bottle of elixir was Lao Zi, the founder of Taoism. All three schools of thought--Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism that predominated the traditional Chinese culture, their founders came to worship the christ Child. This is really a typical Chinese expression!'

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Very interesting take. Interestingly I was the only sibling in my family who did not attend a Jesuit school. The Jesuits certainly have a good reputation in education.
    I attended a high school taught by the Vincentian order. There was always a bit of good natured banter between the Jesuits of another High School (who were our rivals in football) and our priests...