Real Name
    Chris

Jem2

Welcome some feedback on this...thanks.

Jem2

Real Name
    John

Re: Jem2

Nicely posed and lit, only suggestion would be to lose the sleeve cuff and perhaps tone down the white cast shadow on the neck.

Real Name
    Jean

good pose, IMO, a reflector on her left would have reduced the shadow of her nose.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The main issue I see with this image is the lack of separation between the subject and the background, especially with the hair on the camera right side. This is why photographers use a hair light and / or a rim light.

Jean has already pointed out the issues regarding the harsh shadows on the camera right side. A second light or reflector would go a long way in solving that issue as well.

Based on the position of the catchlight in your subject's eyes, I would suggest that your light was a bit too low. I would have raised it a bit higher and had it come more from above. That and the reflector from the camera right side might have solve all the issues with this image.

Real Name
    Richard

I would like to have seen the main light a bit closer to the camera angle and a bit higher so that the shadow from her nose would not bisect her left eye. That way you would have the traditional triangle of Rembrant Lighting. If the light is permanently fixed in position (such as a window), turning her face a bit to her right and lowering her chin might have worked also. This might have had a secondary benefit of pumping a bit of light into her neck area and reducing the very dark shadow a bit...

I would also like to have seen a fill of some type (either another light or a reflector) to pump a bit of light onto her left side (camera right).

I played with this image in the following ways:

1. reduced the brightness of the blouse
    2. cropped out her sleeve (bottom image right)
    3. reduced the brightness of the edge of her hand
    and
    4. reduced some of the specular reflections from the shiny portion of the right (image left) side of her cheek and eye area.

Jem2

Note: the colors went a bit askew when I reduced the brightness of her skin areas. I think that this is a function of trying to edit a copy from a posting and I don't think that the problem would occur if working from an original image - especially a RAW image.

As was mentioned, there is no separation between her hair and the background but, I can live with this...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th April 2017 at 02:46 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Guys really great feedback....it was part of a set and I wanted a dark/black background so the hair was always gonna be an issue. I knee that...I was after one of those dark moody/atmospheric type of shots.

Here are the other in the set which all have the same issues....

Any other comments will be very much appreciated as usual.

Jem2
    Jem2

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Would you mind describing your lighting setup? What light source did you use? How far away was it from your subject and how high was it / what angle was it set at?? What type of light modifier did you use (size and type)? I could guess, but would rather not.

You are using a form of lighting known as "broad lighting" where the camera is pointed at the side of the face that the light is hitting. This is usually not the best lighting for most people as it accentuates face size and is usually best reserved for people with long, narrow face shapes. Short lighting, where the camera is pointing at the side of the face is more appropriate for this subject.

Single lights with no reflectors / fill light usually don't work well, especially for women and children as a softer lighting ratio usually works better - 2:1 usually is most appropriate for these models.

Real Name
    Chris

I'm a complete beginner so I set the camera on a tripod with a 2 sec delay and used an off camera flash positioned in various positions to the right of the model with the flash in my hand.....a bit hit and miss but still learning.

Might invest in a soft box/umbrella set up and some reflectors.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Seochris View Post
    I'm a complete beginner so I set the camera on a tripod with a 2 sec delay and used an off camera flash positioned in various positions to the right of the model with the flash in my hand.....a bit hit and miss but still learning.

Might invest in a soft box/umbrella set up and some reflectors.
    I would suggest you have a look at some books or online work on lighting as well.

When used without a light modifier, small flash gives very harsh lighting, as you can see with these images. In general, if you want nice lighting from a flash, you will have to look at increasing the size of the light source, relative to your subject. This is ideally done through the use of a light modifier, like an umbrella or bouncing it off a neutral coloured wall or ceiling.

We are used to lights, whether they be sunlight or lighting in the room to come from above, so that is usually the best place to start with your lighting. A single flash rarely works well along, so a secondary light source (often a white reflector) should be used to act as a "fill light". I use a cheap piece of foam core that I picked up at an office supply (it is the back side of one of the project boards one of my daughters used in a school project), but you can also get commercially made ones (I have some of those as well).

As for the type of shot you are trying for with the dark background and a dark coloured subject, that is a multi-light setup and is getting into fairly advanced lighting with studio lights. Unfortunately, umbrellas are not going to work here and the small speedlights are not suited either, so if you want to do these types of shots well, that will take some invest in some serious lighting equipment. It is easier to work with a background that naturally separates the subject from it - in this case, any lighter shade would be better than what you are trying.

Real Name
    Chris

OK Thanks for the great feedback.....