Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Lines

Real Name
    André

Roof Lines

This is a photo that I took about a year ago and relegated to my large "maybe some day I'll look at it" pile. Well, that day has come and to my surprise, I quite like it now. It is unusual for me to take a photo that does not have a clear subject. However this purely graphic composition of strong lines, shapes, color and textures now appeals to me.

I would welcome your opinions.

Roof Lines

André

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Roof Lines

The subject is very clear to me: the railings at the top are strongly supported by the lines beneath them. Consider making this a monochrome to make the image more about lines by reducing the impact of the color.

Real Name
    Jean

I like this color version, but for me I'll delete the bottom until the right oblique (or small almost horizontal line)
    But why not try a monochrome version with strong contrast?

Real Name
    Paul David

I like it. I have one that I will post in a different thread.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'd rotate it a bit (clockwise) Andre

Dave

Well, Andre, monochrome - yes; rotation, for a moment I thought it was just me, but agree a bit clockwise. Additionally, I would go for a slightly tighter crop. But, yes, good call to bring out of the archives.

Real Name
    André

Thank you Mike, Jean, Paul, John, Dave and Jim.

Mike - It had not occurred to me that a graphic element could be the subject of a photo. I had always thought that the subject had to be intrinsically interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. With regard to B & W, I tried it without much success which is not surprising since I generally prefer colour. To me, the visual impact of the blue sky is an important element that gets lost in the conversion.

Jean - The crop that you suggest is a big improvement. Thank you.

Dave - That is a tough call. I had a choice of alignment between the vertical members and the horizontal members of the railing. I picked the vertical ones but could just as easily have used the horizontal ones. Trying to line up the texture in the walls did not work at all.

Jim - I think that a tighter crop will work well.

I will reprocess this photo keeping all of your suggestions in mind and post the result. In the mean time, if anybody would like to do a B & W version, please don't be shy.

André

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    It had not occurred to me that a graphic element could be the subject of a photo. I had always thought that the subject had to be intrinsically interesting.
    A successful subject for any photo probably does have to be intrinsically interesting, though I've never given that any thought. (It can be interesting without being attractive; it might even be ugly.) For me, the railing has intrinsic interest because it has a graphic characteristic.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 14th April 2017 at 04:31 PM.

Real Name
    Judith

Here are two Flickr groups I belong to that emphasize the graphic elements. I have been surprised to see so little of this type of photography on Cambridge. The first group is more tightly moderated.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/linescurves/pool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/lessismore/pool/

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    Here are two Flickr groups I belong to that emphasize the graphic elements. I have been surprised to see so little of this type of photography on Cambridge. The first group is more tightly moderated.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/linescurves/pool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/lessismore/pool/
    Hi Judith,

Graphic elements has been displayed on this forum in the past and often in the in the competition threads, it is a style I do practice from time to time having been introduced to it by Joe McNally. One of McNally's exercises was to isolate portions of a lighthouse as it presented a different perspective of your usual examples.

Real Name
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Thank you Mike, Jean, Paul, John, Dave and Jim.

Mike - It had not occurred to me that a graphic element could be the subject of a photo. I had always thought that the subject had to be intrinsically interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. With regard to B & W, I tried it without much success which is not surprising since I generally prefer colour. To me, the visual impact of the blue sky is an important element that gets lost in the conversion.

Jean - The crop that you suggest is a big improvement. Thank you.

Dave - That is a tough call. I had a choice of alignment between the vertical members and the horizontal members of the railing. I picked the vertical ones but could just as easily have used the horizontal ones. Trying to line up the texture in the walls did not work at all.

Jim - I think that a tighter crop will work well.

I will reprocess this photo keeping all of your suggestions in mind and post the result. In the mean time, if anybody would like to do a B & W version, please don't be shy.

André
    Well--I am always learning and b & W conversion is only slowly creeping into my skill set. So your invitation was a challenge to get some feedback. I did not do any of the crops and adjustments others recommended though I agree some are worthwhile. Just focused on the conversion. Agree that the sky is an important element so took it lighter than I might otherwise have done. Would love C & C from those of you who are so much more experienced at this than I.

Roof Lines

That conversion works very nicely for me, Judith. Now get going with conversions of your own images!

Real Name
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    That conversion works very nicely for me, Judith. Now get going with conversions of your own images!
    Aye, Aye! Thanks for the feedback!

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Judith,

Ah prefer the colour version. Don't think there's enough tonal range for the B+W conversion, especially with all that sky (necessary for the central structure). Ah'd look at trying tae dramatise the colours, combined with using bits of software, tae create a vibrant abstract.

Real Name
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    Hi Judith,

Ah prefer the colour version. Don't think there's enough tonal range for the B+W conversion, especially with all that sky (necessary for the central structure). Ah'd look at trying tae dramatise the colours, combined with using bits of software, tae create a vibrant abstract.
    I. too, prefer the color version. doing the conversion was a personal challenge.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    I. too, prefer the color version. doing the conversion was a personal challenge.
    Hi Judith,

been playing around with your colour version. Ah can post it in the thread, if ye like. Gonna have a go at a b+w version...if that's OK.

Real Name
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    Hi Judith,

been playing around with your colour version. Ah can post it in the thread, if ye like. Gonna have a go at a b+w version...if that's OK.
    That photo was not mine originally--It was taken by Andre in Ottawa--see first post in this thread. While others offered ideas to improve the color version, one person suggested a B & W conversion. Andre said he wasn't going to try the B &
    W but if others wanted to do so, have at it. That was the genesis of my B & W. It would be interesting to see your take on a conversion.

Real Name
    André

Thank you all for your continued interest and valuable contributions.

Judith - Your B & W conversion is much better than anything I had tried. I still prefer the colour version but that is a good conversion.

Boab - Please do post your colour and B & W visions for this image. Judging by the originality of your usual post, it will be interesting to see.

I have tried the tighter crop along the line suggested by Jean and Jim. It did not work as well as I had expected. I find that the railing is a bit too prominent and the context not quite as effective. Here it is:

#2 (of my images)
    Roof Lines

Just to reiterate, all edits and revisions will be most welcomed.

Real Name

Hi André,

Tae emphasize the abstract over the function and form, ah prefer bold,brash and bright as opposed tae natural - especially if there isn't a large range of tones tae use...so...

Roof Lines

Roof Lines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast