Thread: Some advice on arranging a photography event please!

Some advice on arranging a photography event please!

Hi all,

I have just joined and am hoping to get some feedback on an event I am looking to arrange in the huntingdon area in September.
    The event will have a photography contest, the oppurtunity to photography different models at different times, in different attire in different locations around Hinchinbrooke country park.
    I will also have stalls from different areas of the industry as well as a networking afternoon tea. I am hoping to bring together photographers, models, make up artists, equipment suppliers, clothing retailers, people that offer photography training etc.
    I have made a short survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/P5LGLJN.

Just really looking for feedback on what would drive you to go to this event, what kind of attire or types of shots would you want from the models?

Thank you so much in advance

Jess

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Some advice on arranging a photography event please!

I would think that there would be one important criteria that is necessary for the success of any photography event and that would be having a data base of photographers or persons interested in photography so that your ad campaign would reach fertile ground.

I probably attend 10-12 or more photo oriented events each year. Some are free of charge and I pay to attend some of the events.

Virtually every photography event which I attend is sponsored by either a commercial entity (camera store or equipment manufacturer - such as Canon) or is sponsored by a camera club or group to which I belong.

I am purposefully not including events at which I attend (either free or with an admission fee) to shoot, such as the Civil War reenactments (fee based) or the Red Bull Air Races (free) but are not specifically photography oriented events.

I belong to one organization that sponsors aspiring models (both male and female) and which does charge a very low fee. I don't usually attend the shoots of nudes or semi clothed models - although I have done this occasionally and will probably do so again if the model attracts my interest. However, I will attend several of these shoots each year because I am a friend of the organizer and I know that she supplements her income by holding these events and I do like to help her. One of my favorite types of events that she holds is at a local beauty school. Aspiring models have their hair dressed and professional makeup applied (by aspiring hair dressers and makeup artists who are attending the school) and these models are available to shoot. It is the photographer's responsibility to provide images to the models, hair dressers and makeup artists. This is a win-win situation for all concerned. The models, hair dressers and makeup artists get images and the photographers get to shoot attractive females who have been professionally prepared for the camera.

One final thought... I live near San Diego in Southern California and my area has a plethora of photo oriented events - both free and fee based. In order to be successful, the advertisers of any event much reach a large number of people who are:

1. Interested in photography
    2. Have shown interest in attending photo oriented events
    3. Are willing to travel to attend the event

Additionally, an event needs a draw... this can be either a known photographer or a neat freebie. This past weekend, Canon held a macro photo event at a famous local flower field. The draw for the event was that Canon brought a selection of their equipment which the attendees could borrow and use in the flower fields, free of charge. I would like to have tried the 100mm f/2.8L IS macro lens but, other commitments did not allow me to attend...

I am attending a photo shoot tomorrow night to photograph the skyline of the City of San Diego from across the San Diego Bay. I like attending night shoots with members of a photo club because there is safety in numbers. With a dozen or so photographers shooting, I do not feel like a seventy-six year old guy who is alone and vulnerable with several thousand dollars worth of equipment ripe for the taking...

Good luck on your event!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicacoephotography View Post
    . . . hoping to get some feedback on an event I am looking to arrange in the huntingdon area in September. The event will have a photography contest, the oppurtunity to photography different models at different times, in different attire in different locations around Hinchinbrooke country park.

I will also have stalls from different areas of the industry as well as a networking afternoon tea. I am hoping to bring together photographers, models, make up artists, equipment suppliers, clothing retailers, people that offer photography training etc.
    Please answer these questions to allow better targeted feedback:

What is your budget?
    How many people in your organizing team?
    What are their skill sets; experience; and connections?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicacoephotography View Post
    . . . Just really looking for feedback on what would drive you to go to this event, what kind of attire or types of shots would you want from the models?
    In order of priority:

1. A fine and sunny day. (weather - prima facie that's your Achilles Tendon)

2. A guaranteed diversity (in skills and experience and styles) of Portrait, Fashion and/or Wedding Photographers including some highly skilled and highly experienced

3. Professional and experienced models

WW

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Isn't it also important that you tell us the name you wanted us to address you as to and also from where you are located at, just like how we normally do it it here? Just asking...since this is your first post here.

I had organized events for my husband occasionally and it takes many to organize even just one, especially if you are groping in the dark and have very little help. I started as one, me, myself and I on hubby's first event here in St. Louis and it took me a year to make or break. First off, finances -- how much are you willing to spent on each activity;
    #2, hotel accommodations for those that will come from afar, does the hotel also pick up from the airport to the venue? Just one area you should be looking at..
    #3 catering -- lunch and/or some dinner
    #4 speakers
    #5 tutorials
    #6 giveaways -- very important to people coming too and/or just visiting locally, curious of your events...
    #7 excursions -- some members do not like to hang out all day, they want to see local areas too...
    #8 all other etcheteras, like sponsorships -- this is the one that occupies most of my time and writing to each and every member of our group, answering phone calls.
    #9 -- how long is the event for?

Truth to say, I will not do it anymore. It is a lot of work for one person for a week long event. Those who are experienced in throwing events in my husband's group can do it in a few months, but since I put a lot of time and effort into our event, with my husband helping me four months after I started it, none other has beat the attendance and the fun that we generated. 5 months is a short time to concentrate on a successful event. Sponsors will say that their money is already allocated in other charitable events. People will be busy too.

There are a lot of variables to consider too. I cannot do it in 5 months away if I want a successful event. At the least will be two years as far as I am concerned, especially if you are thinking of approaching companies to sponsor your event. Just my one cent worth.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Hey Jessica,
    How is your planning going?