Thread: Does this app exist for photographers?

Real Name
    Michael

Does this app exist for photographers?

Hello all,

This weekend I heard of an app called Mighty Networks (see http://www.cbc.ca/radio/spark/353-ad...ting-1.4076092). "The premise of Mighty Networks is that it's built from the ground up to connect you to others around what Gina Bianchini, the founder and CEO, calls `deep interests'." According to that article, unlike FB groups, Mighty Networks lets you connect with people that you have not yet met.

I would be interested in an app that connects me with photo enthusiasts in my geographic region who want to meet up and take interesting photos. For example, it would be neat to get a message stating "Wow! The Northern Lights look great tonight! Going to xxxx neighbourhood park for some shots." (Yes there are personal security ramifications...) Does such an app exist that is being used? Mighty Networks exists, but it doesn't appear to be used by photographers in my locale. Are there different apps that exist and are being heavily used? Before someone replies suggesting that I join a photo club, I have already done so. I am not very interested in weekly meetings and C&C right now - I'm interested in getting a notification of something interesting going on so that I can pop out and see it.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Does this app exist for photographers?

I am the same with you. I have not heard of this app but I once belong to a photo club who abused my generosity when I accommodated them at our airport, see our antique airplane museum and lunch for so many people. So never again. And the complaint that many were not accommodated? I just scour the local newspaper to see if something interests me and I tell my husband so we can go somewhere and just relax for him, me to take photos, one-on-one is much better than a crowd. I use Whatsapp for communicating with my kids in Oz. I guess I am the most boring person on earth.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Ditto Izzie: local papers, or their websites - or the local 'council' (not sure of US/Canadian translation: perhaps municipal authority?).

Do you have something called Meetup in Canada?
    I belong, but have never been to an event, I suspect the others are rather younger than I and I might feel a bit out of place at something like this.

I have no idea whether you're living in a suburban, rural or city environment though, so some of our suggestions may not be relevant without that knowledge.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

For this purpose, it seems to me, you would want a networking tool for people nearby, not one that connects you with people everywhere. I use https://www.meetup.com/ for that purpose. I belong to two local photography meetups (there are a lot of them in my area), one connected with photo club to which I belong and the other devoted to night photography. You might want to check if there are photography meetups in your area.

Real Name
    Michael

Thanks for the reply Izzie!

Dave and Dan - thank you SO MUCH for pointing me to meetup. I had no idea that apps like meetup existed.

Dave - as it happens, we do have meetup in Canada. I will have to check if it is active in my city. The city I live in (Winnipeg) is large enough to have three photography clubs but, unfortunately, they never have enough "field trips" for me.

Cheers,

Michael

Real Name
    Russel John

Quote Originally Posted by paintingwithlight View Post
    Hello all,

This weekend I heard of an app called Mighty Networks (see http://www.cbc.ca/radio/spark/353-ad...ting-1.4076092). "The premise of Mighty Networks is that it's built from the ground up to connect you to others around what Gina Bianchini, the founder and CEO, calls `deep interests'." According to that article, unlike FB groups, Mighty Networks lets you connect with people that you have not yet met.

I would be interested in an app that connects me with photo enthusiasts in my geographic region who want to meet up and take interesting photos. For example, it would be neat to get a message stating "Wow! The Northern Lights look great tonight! Going to xxxx neighbourhood park for some shots." (Yes there are personal security ramifications...) Does such an app exist that is being used? Mighty Networks exists, but it doesn't appear to be used by photographers in my locale. Are there different apps that exist and are being heavily used? Before someone replies suggesting that I join a photo club, I have already done so. I am not very interested in weekly meetings and C&C right now - I'm interested in getting a notification of something interesting going on so that I can pop out and see it.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
    I have never heard of this app, but after searching on Google, this app is available in both Android and iPhone versions.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Burton1 View Post
    I have never heard of this app, but after searching on Google, this app is available in both Android and iPhone versions.
    Welcome to CiC. If you wouldn't mind, please add your name and location to your profile by clicking the "My Profile" tab at the top of this page. We are a friendly group here and tend to go on a first name basis.

One thing to be careful when replying to comments is to look at the date the question was posted. This question was asked some 3-1/2 years ago and the last time the person asking the question accessed this site was in mid-2017.

One thing