Not Here But There

f/2.8, 1/1000sec, ISO 110
    Comments welcome.

Not Here But There

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Not Here But There

You were in a Japanese festival...envious...ours here doesn't start until September, I think...I like the conversion, but I wonder what the colour version looks like? I was thinking that if this shot is not as large as the page, the shape of her face against the background will be almost the same colours. Maybe try to remove the line down her chin or something, will that make a difference with the separations? Just curious...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    You were in a Japanese festival...envious...ours here doesn't start until September, I think...I like the conversion, but I wonder what the colour version looks like? I was thinking that if this shot is not as large as the page, the shape of her face against the background will be almost the same colours. Maybe try to remove the line down her chin or something, will that make a difference with the separations? Just curious...
    Hi Izzie,
    Yes, this week is the local Cherry Blossom Festival, so far only been able to enjoy one day out of seven available as the weather hasn't exactly been cooperating. I've attached the color version, I like it as well as the B & W version; however there are more distractions which I feel were handled easily by converted. My other option would have been applying a vignette but I felt the woman didn't really need more attention applied to her form as she stands out so well. Thanks for commenting.

Not Here But There

Real Name
    Izzie

Both are very nice, John...sometimes it is hard for me to gauge when to convert to black and white and when to be content with the colour version. Like in this instance of your photograph, they are both the same to me just the different of colour. I do like them both.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Climbing stairs wearing geta (Japanese wooden soled shoes) is a challenge. I'm impressed by this young lady who is taking her life in her hands, so to speak. I have enough trouble walking on those on flat surfaces...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Climbing stairs wearing geta (Japanese wooden soled shoes) is a challenge. I'm impressed by this young lady who is taking her life in her hands, so to speak. I have enough trouble walking on those on flat surfaces...
    Also, I think the tightness of the kimono makes for less than optimal strides.

Real Name
    John

Both are very nice, John...sometimes it is hard for me to gauge when to convert to black and white and when to be content with the colour version. Like in this instance of your photograph, they are both the same to me just the different of colour. I do like them both.
    Izzie,

I had no issues with the woman and her dress, it was the background that prompted me to convert. Glad you liked both, I was very interested in your comment in post #2, do you still feel her face is similar in color to the stone?

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Izzie,

I had no issues with the woman and her dress, it was the background that prompted me to convert. Glad you liked both, I was very interested in your comment in post #2, do you still feel her face is similar in color to the stone?
    Not anymore much because here skin dominates the lines more. I still think that line should be evened out though...I like both of your versions, one stronger than the other. Both are better once you get to linger looking at the shots ...

Real Name
    John

I removed it from the color version, I may do a bit more work on both though.

Not Here But There

Real Name
    Susan

Hi John, I like both images but do prefer the color a bit more. I think the splash of cherry blossoms and the other folks taking them in helps to create a story better. She's in a hurry to get somewhere and needs to give or get some last minute instructions. I love the kimono and obi colors too and those shoes.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    Hi John, I like both images but do prefer the color a bit more. I think the splash of cherry blossoms and the other folks taking them in helps to create a story better. She's in a hurry to get somewhere and needs to give or get some last minute instructions. I love the kimono and obi colors too and those shoes.
    Hi Susan,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Zen

Hi John,

I was at that same venue 2 days earlier while the workers were still sprucing up for the event, and ran into a wedding shoot, no doubt one of many. Although it is quite a photogenic site, I've always had trouble with the marble; whether it's the grain pattern, color, weather streaks, or maybe just what to me is an uninteresting color. So your color version stands out - contrast against a rather plain hued background. And, I like that it shows action, and not just another shot of the blossoms, as beautiful as they are. All in all, a nice effort.

Zen

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    Hi John,

I was at that same venue 2 days earlier while the workers were still sprucing up for the event, and ran into a wedding shoot, no doubt one of many. Although it is quite a photogenic site, I've always had trouble with the marble; whether it's the grain pattern, color, weather streaks, or maybe just what to me is an uninteresting color. So your color version stands out - contrast against a rather plain hued background. And, I like that it shows action, and not just another shot of the blossoms, as beautiful as they are. All in all, a nice effort.

Zen
    Hi Zen,
    Weather was a bummer, yet still had a good time especially running into a few local photographers. Regarding the marble, I only treat it as a secondary element and usually underexpose the scene if it is a primary element. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Izzie

Remove that one on the top of her nose too and it will look perfect...Thanks for indulging me, John...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I removed it from the color version, I may do a bit more work on both though.

Not Here But There

Real Name
    John

Here you go.

Not Here But There

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Like me you are more used to high heels? ....

I prefer the monochrome version. Seems to be less background distraction.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Like me you are more used to high heels? ....

I prefer the monochrome version. Seems to be less background distraction.
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks, John...very pretty...

Real Name
    John

Thanks, John...very pretty...