Thread: Beauty shoot #1 - Kaila

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Beauty shoot #1 - Kaila

I had an opportunity to participate in a beauty shoot yesterday evening, in downtown Ottawa. There were 9 photographers and four models for about three hours of shooting (6:00PM - 9:00PM). We shot at Ottawa City Hall, at Confederation Park and at the National Arts Centre.

Unfortunately for all concerned, it was a cold day in May, with temperatures around 7° C / 45° F, so all concerned were rather cold. I had also twisted my knee earlier that day, so I was in a lot of pain and hobbling around during the shoot...

It was quite overcast, so all the shots here are natural light, with Mother Nature providing a large soft box.

This model is Kaila:

Beauty shoot #1 - Kaila

Beauty shoot #1 - Kaila

Beauty shoot #1 - Kaila
    Last edited by Manfred M; 11th May 2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Updated images based on comments

Real Name
    John

Re: Beauty shoot #1 - Kaila

Nice series, hopefully there were a few coffee breaks in between and those locations could have spiced up the scenery.

Real Name
    Kim

Hope your knee is feeling better today Manfred. How lucky you were to have an opportunity to photograph models & not a bad ratio of photogs to models.

My favorite of the set is the second one - she a beautiful woman, and the soft background compliments her nicely. Also soft light on her face, with just a tiny bit of shadow, gives her face lovely definition.

I like the 3rd image as well; however the background (in my opinion) competes with her a bit as it's very strong (lots of texture and dark lines). It's still a lovely photo of her and I'm sure she was pleased.

Concerning the first image, I love her seductive look and everything about her face and the pose; however, i feel the bright green line of the grass leads the eye away from her face and to her 'behind" (first thing I noticed). I'm sure that would be pleasing to some, so it's just a matter of personal taste. Might be cool in B&W.

I'm trying to get better at evaluating my thoughts on images, so hope you don't mind I gave my opinion on all 3 :-)

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like #3 because she has an even face and very nice and simple looking. The first and the second one needs a bit of working on the shadows of her left eye? Just a thought.

Real Name
    Tony

Nice model, Manfred. Think you could improve #1 and get rid of the glow around her b*m??

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for the comments:

I've gone back and did some more dodging and burning around the eyes, Izzie and Kim. Frankly, Kim, the two things I did now love about #1 are the grass colour and the position of the hand. Yes, going B&W is one way to deal with the grass. I also tried ot desaturate it locally, but did not like the way it came out.

Tony - the "glow" on the jeans is the way the light is falling. It is also quite visible on the model's jacket. I looked at removing it / toning it down, but that ended up looking wrong.

Here is the B&W conversion.

Beauty shoot #1 - Kaila

Real Name
    André

Hi Manfred,
    I am looking at your revised photos and all three look very good to me. Your model is a beautiful woman and my favorite photo of the three is #2 even though her facial expression is not as warm as in photo #3. Like Kim, the first thing that attracted my eyes in the first is her behind. I don't know if this is cause by the grass or the curve of her back.(or maybe I am a dirty old man!)
    I don't find the background distracting in #3 but her right leg/foot seem too big for her body. Maybe you were too close to her.

Hope your knee gets better soon.

André

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    I don't find the background distracting in #3 but her right leg/foot seem too big for her body. Maybe you were too close to her.
    Thanks Andre - shot at 92mm on a FF body, so this in the usual range of focal lengths I tend to use on a shot like this (80 - 135mm). Yes, there is a bit of distortion there, but I don't find that it bothers me as much as the softness of the shoe but this is all about the learning experience. This was an existing light shot at just past 8:00PM, so the light meant having to make some tradeoffs to get the shot. The next time I get this kind of opportunity, I'll have an off-camera flash / light stand along. Many of the other people did and that gave them a lot more flexibility.

Real Name
    Bill

Like the B&W Manfred.

Real Name
    Kim

I was fine with the slight shadows in your originals Manfred -- as mentioned, I thought it added some pretty definition (contouring) to her face. I like the B&W version as well -- I see her face first and then her lovely curves. The B&W version makes the image all about her, and I agree, I like the positioning of her hands.