Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving B&W A Try

Real Name
    John

Re: Giving B&W A Try

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    I agree John. Perhaps a graduated filter? All I have in that dept. is a 10 stop. I did have my circular polarizer on but didn't use it very well as you can see in the deciduous tree on the left.
    Susan,

For the circular filter intended purpose this wouldn't be the best angle in relation to the sun, you might have been able to lessen the reflection on the water though. I don't know if anyone asked; was this shot with a wide angle, normal lens and cropped at top/bottom, or stitched together? I don't see any distortion at the edges so might rule out wide angle.

Real Name
    Susan

:-) Thank you!

Real Name
    Susan

I appreciate your succinct color filter explanation - it is clarifying for me. As to the polarizer the glare isn't so apparent but is there on the decidious trees in the middle left. It became more pronounced when converted. I did use some tools to tone it down. That filter has become my very good friend as I am often shooting in the rain - I just sometimes forget that it is there. Susan

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Keep in mind that a polarizer will remove all glare that exists in a particular plane. The corollary is that if glare exists in multiple planes, such as is always the case when glare exists in a landscape scene, the polarizer will eliminate only some of the glare in the scene, not all of it. So, position the polarizer so it eliminates either most of the glare or so that it eliminates the most important glare. Taking all of that into account and that you have described a relatively small amount of glare that wasn't eliminated, it seems to me that you did an excellent job of using the polarizer.

Real Name
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Susan,

For the circular filter intended purpose this wouldn't be the best angle in relation to the sun, you might have been able to lessen the reflection on the water though. I don't know if anyone asked; was this shot with a wide angle, normal lens and cropped at top/bottom, or stitched together? I don't see any distortion at the edges so might rule out wide angle.
    Hi John,
    This is with my 12-40mm (4/3) lens at 40mm. I did crop from the bottom and side but not a whole lot. It was a changeable day to say the least! and the circular polarizer did help with some of the wet leaf glare throughout the day. Would you have used a graduated filter on the water or sky or both - two or more shots?

Real Name
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Keep in mind that a polarizer will remove all glare that exists in a particular plane. The corollary is that if glare exists in multiple planes, such as is always the case when glare exists in a landscape scene, the polarizer will eliminate only some of the glare in the scene, not all of it. So, position the polarizer so it eliminates either most of the glare or so that it eliminates the most important glare. Taking all of that into account and that you have described a relatively small amount of glare that wasn't eliminated, it seems to me that you did an excellent job of using the polarizer.
    I am getting better at it - and paying attention and being choosy is important. If I'm trying to say wet there should be some wet! thanks again Mike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12