Insects from the garden

Insects from the garden

Insects from the garden

Insects from the garden

Insects from the garden

Real Name
    John

Re: Insects from the garden

You're good at this sort of thing aren't you? I like them all.

John

Real Name
    James Edwards

Les, nice captures, I've been after St Mark's fly but still not got one this season that I'm satisfied with.
    Same applies for the Click beetle. Getting them in a good light is not easy, the first of them is really good .

Real Name
    les norman

Thankyou John and James for your comments i am only just starting to be happy with macro , this forum and the help people are willing to give has been invaluable .

Real Name
    Nandakumar

They are nice set; yet you could have avoided so much of reflection by avoiding direct light. Or can use a filter

Real Name
    James Edwards

They are nice set; yet you could have avoided so much of reflection by avoiding direct light. Or can use a filter
    The problem is that the insects choose the location. Hoverflies do tend to bask in the sun anyway when they rest.

Personally I don't use filters because the light values when shooting insect macro are far too variable and it is too much hassle changing when in the undergrowth!

My usual 'trick' in pp is to reduce highlights aggressively first then adjust/raise brightness levels to an optimum level and reintroduce some highlight to keep it 'natural' .... doesn't always work though
    Last edited by James G; 19th May 2017 at 04:17 PM.

Real Name
    John

Nice captures.

There is no realistic answer to the over exposure hotspots caused by reflective insects.

Even in shady conditions there will often be quite noticeable variations depending on the light angle. I tend to use flash, with carefully adjusted output compensation, as my default setting and this often works out with fewer problems than any other option. Straight shooting in sunny conditions can produce a small image of the photographer in those hotspot areas!

I tend to spend a bit of time during editing and very carefully clone out any problem areas. Shady shooting conditions can also cause other issues such as too low a shutter speed or an excessively 'noisy' background and rather flat looking colours. Even shooting under studio lighting of various forms will give problems on some subjects.

The first Episyrphus balteatus seems a bit extreme with the colour balance. The second shot of this species (image #3) looks more natural. Colour variation is a constant worry with this sort of photography so I usually start the day with a Custom White Balance setting.

The Athous haemorrhoidalis beetle is covered with fine reflective hair so they are always extremely difficult to photograph under any conditions.