Thread: In an old family home in Ireland

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In an old family home in Ireland

Not sure but that this image should be in the Nature section of the forum. Because this cat is most definitely NOT a pet. It never comes into the house and gets fed on the step at the door.

This is the third and last of the images I made from inside my aunt's house in Ireland during my recent trip across there to visit her. This made using only natural light.

As always, your constructive comment and criticism will be welcomed.

In an old family home in Ireland
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd May 2017 at 08:46 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: In an old family home in Ireland

Hi Donald,

I find it very difficult to offer critique shots such as this because they are by definition a record of what's there and I'm guessing you didn't move stuff about to achieve the best composition, you were limited to merely getting the most appropriate framing and then executing a technically good exposure.

You achieved both, Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't move stuff about to achieve the best composition,
    Most certainly didn't move anything , Dave. That would have completely destroyed what making the image was all about.

Real Name
    Sharon

I don't quite get you Dave..but then I have been eaten by Midgies for the last hour so forgive me if I am being dim.

You say

'I find it very difficult to offer critique shots such as this because they are by definition a record of what's there and I'm guessing you didn't move stuff about to achieve the best composition, you were limited to merely getting the most appropriate framing and then executing a technically good exposure'

The 'least' of this shot to me is the technical aspect..framing or exposure wise.

It is about emotion...a cat gazing at its lunch through a dirty window and all the 'detritus of an old Irish kitchen' is exquisite in its life details.

Yes it is a record of that ..but so much more..it is a 'feeling' that is captured here.

I have an Irish Granny..and she had a cat...it evokes that perfectly..that life..the curtains..the 'guddle' are captured beautifully..it takes me back..i can smell the soup on the stove....It's a candid.

and if as you say you feel the technical aspects are done well..do you not feel that the emotion is also captured well too?

Just my bletherings.

Real Name
    Kim

Donald, I have to say I ADORE this image - the moment I saw it I feel in love. It is so rich in feelings, emotion, and atmosphere!!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sharon,

and if as you say you feel the technical aspects are done well..do you not feel that the emotion is also captured well too?
    If I'm honest, no it doesn't, I'm afraid.

However, that's probably got more to do with my very 'suburban' upbringing, I have no fond (or otherwise) memories of such a place and time.

Dave

Real Name
    Susan

Splendid moment and absolutely splendid black and white. I am trying to find something helpful to say but I cannot ;-) .

Real Name
    Dean

Wonderful documentary capture.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

There are lots of details I like about this far too numerous to mention, so I'll just mention the one choice to overexpose the outside light when a lot of people would have merged two exposures -- one for the outside and one for the inside. Your choice is so much more artistically pleasing for me.

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    Donald, I have to say I ADORE this image - the moment I saw it I feel in love. It is so rich in feelings, emotion, and atmosphere!!

+1
    very nice.

Real Name
    Ole

Donald, this is a good picture and, I imagine, a personal one as well. I love it because it is simple. This is what photography is also about - recording events or merely just a backward peep. This is done with great sensitivity.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for all those comments above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    ....the one choice to overexpose the outside light when a lot of people would have merged two exposures -- one for the outside and one for the inside. Your choice is so much more artistically pleasing for me.
    Not only do I not merge, preferring to only work with one frame per image (if you see what I mean), but I agree that an image that had the outside 'correctly' exposed would just not have worked at all. The outside needed to be pretty washed out so that attention was thrown onto the inside.

Merging images does, of course, have its place. It's just that it's something I don't do.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thank you for all those comments above.

Not only do I not merge, preferring to only work with one frame per image (if you see what I mean), but I agree that an image that had the outside 'correctly' exposed would just not have worked at all. The outside needed to be pretty washed out so that attention was thrown onto the inside.

Merging images does, of course, have its place. It's just that it's something I don't do.
    I like it as it is. It shows the intimacy of the house and the person.
    And no, don't use something as HDR, you destroy the outside feeling and reduce that window to a flat painting hanging on the wall.

George

Real Name
    John

I thought this might be one of those shots where distance helped; as suggested by Mike on one of your compositions; it helped but only a little. The shapes work for me but interior is a bit too shadowy for me, would suggest doing a bit of dodging and burning of at least the food bag and perhaps a bit on some of the labels and/or surfaces. Nice effort.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm curious about the cat: Was it on the window sill for a long time, giving you ample time to get everything setup just right. Or was it there for just a fleeting moment as you were contemplating the ideal composition? Or did you have everything setup and in your mind the way you wanted it when the cat unexpectedly yet conveniently appeared?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I'm curious about the cat:
    The cat had been there for ages and remained there, motionless, after I got the photo. So, the picture I 'saw' had the cat in it.

Real Name
    Binnur

Great image Donald

Real Name
    Zen

Donald, you may remember my suggestion to you some time ago that you check out the images of Milton Rogovin, a gritty black and white street photographer of Western New York, who achieved some fame with his 10 and 20 year tryp-tichs of people on the west side of Buffalo, New York. A major collection of his images is, today, in the Library of Congress. This image reminds me of his work; and I'd say it is Rogovin-esque.

In that light, it is superb.

Zen

Real Name
    Matt

Great photo Donald