Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Nikkor 300 mm f/4

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Thoughts on Nikkor 300 mm f/4

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    The company sells on optional mount that combines the proprietary circular mounting plate needed for the vest with an arca-swiss compatible plate, so I can easily take the camera off the vest and mount it on my lightweight monopod, on which I have an arca-swiss compatible (Kirk) tilt head.
    Yes, I think I would want that. I am gad to see that all the local photo stores carry the Cotton Carrier. The same is not true of the newer Nikkor 300 mm, however, and it looks like I would have to order it. Too bad as it would have been useful for shooting this weekend's dragon boat races.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    The same is not true of the newer Nikkor 300 mm, however, and it looks like I would have to order it.
    Janis - if you are looking at ordering the lens, have a look at Aden Camera in Toronto. They seem to have some of the best prices and I've ordered four or five lenses from them. They have a web store at: http://www.adencamera.com/default.aspx

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks for the tip, Manfred! I checked and they have it, but I am a bit confused about their pricing policy. Some items are marked MAP with a price, some are marked MAP with no price, and some are marked MAP with a note telling you to go to checkout to see the final price. The lens I am looking at is in the second category, so I proceeded to checkout to see what the price was going to be and it was the same as the advertised price for the two local stores I could order from. Still, I am wondering if the fact it is marked MAP means that I might get a different price if I write or phone? Any ideas?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

MAP = Minimum Advertised Price. This is something the camera manufacturer / importer has imposed on the camera stores.

They can actually sell for less, but they can't show the actual selling price on their website or other advertising materials.

On a website, when you go through the checkout process, then actual price that the retailer will sell it for is listed, so that's what you will pay. This practice has been going on in the USA for some time, after some law changes. At one point this practice was illegal, but it seems that is no longer the case.

If this is the same price as you can order the lens locally, there might not be any advantage to you, as you will not be charged for shipping. On the other hand, out of province sales means the retailer won't charge you any provincial sales tax, but there is always a chance that this might be picked up by your provincial government at some point and you could get a provincial tax bill at a later date.

Real Name
    George

Thanks for the tip, Manfred! I checked and they have it, but I am a bit confused about their pricing policy. Some items are marked MAP with a price, some are marked MAP with no price, and some are marked MAP with a note telling you to go to checkout to see the final price. The lens I am looking at is in the second category, so I proceeded to checkout to see what the price was going to be and it was the same as the advertised price for the two local stores I could order from. Still, I am wondering if the fact it is marked MAP means that I might get a different price if I write or phone? Any ideas?
    I'm not sure for which type you're looking for. The light one is the one with VR. Their price of $2599 seems to me the advice price of a new one. You can get that everywhere.

A local physical store is always preferable. You can walk in and ask, come back when there's something wrong and if you're very angry you can even throw a stone through the window. Just don't make a habit of that last item.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

[QUOTE=george013;676246]A local physical store is always preferable. You can walk in and ask, come back when there's something wrong /QUOTE]

George - I wish that were true George, at least where I live.

Some stores may have some knowledgeable staff, but others do not. The last time I walked into one camera store and asked a question about a choice of two different lenses, I was told to go and check out the specs on the internet.

Camera stores reward people that can move product, and that is not the same thing as someone who is knowledgeable. In fact, with a couple of exceptions, I know more than most of the camera store salespeople, and that should not be the case!

Real Name
    George

[QUOTE=GrumpyDiver;676303]
    Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    A local physical store is always preferable. You can walk in and ask, come back when there's something wrong /QUOTE]

George - I wish that were true George, at least where I live.

Some stores may have some knowledgeable staff, but others do not. The last time I walked into one camera store and asked a question about a choice of two different lenses, I was told to go and check out the specs on the internet.

Camera stores reward people that can move product, and that is not the same thing as someone who is knowledgeable. In fact, with a couple of exceptions, I know more than most of the camera store salespeople, and that should not be the case!
    You didn't quote everything.

Off course it depends on the people working there. Your choice is your responsibility. That counts for an internet store too. But in a direct dialogue I can make some assumption of how good the other one is. I don't know how to do that with an internet store. I've to talk to my self in the mirror.

If you exactly know what you want and you are sure of that the article you order is what you want, then ......

There's also the guarantee issue. In Holland the shop has to give the guarantee. That's is going to be difficult when the internet store is abroad. I don't say it never works, but you've to calculate with it.

She's buying a lens with a value of over $2000. No hair on my head( is that English?) will think of it to buy that on the internet.

George

Real Name
    Michael

Hi Janis,

I can only speak for the Henry's Camera Store in Winnipeg, but they keep getting my repeat business. I usually find the cheapest price on photoprice.ca and then go to Henry's and ask for a price match. Once one of their employees spent 10 minutes of his time on their computer searching for deals so that he could price match and save me money.

On photoprice.ca the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED lists at Digital Rev* (Grey Market) Online $1528.99, $1528.99 after taxes, S&H while at The Camera Store (Alberta) it lists for $1599.00, $1806.87 after taxes and S&H. Don's won't match grey market prices. I don't understand why the Digital Rev price appears to have zero taxes or shipping and handling...

Cheers,

Michael
    Last edited by paintingwithlight; 30th May 2017 at 02:36 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

You "might" think about buying a used copy. I have had some good success buying used. Most recently I purchased a Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens. The first copy I received was the older non-USM version (the posting was in error and stated that this was a USM version- instead it was the older non-USM Macro) but, PayPal took care of that. The seller sent me a return label and I returned the lens for an instant refund.

I just received a mint copy of the USM version. The price of the lens, new, on the B&H website is $599 U.S. Dollars and I got my mint copy for $306 including shipping.

Here is the availability of various used 300mm f/4 lenses for Nikon cameras from KEH. KEH is a reliable source of used gear and they offer a 6-month guarantee.

https://www.keh.com/shop/catalogsear...2F4+ED&stock=1

Here is a listing of completed sales on eBay USA...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...dmd=1&_ipg=200

I looked for a refurbished version on Nikon's site and on Adorama but, couldn't find one...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 30th May 2017 at 04:13 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . there's no question that the versatility of a zoom is a consideration and I might well find the prime too limiting. . .
    Versatility of a zoom a consideration: and Primes can be limiting.

However I caution about making the conclusion that "versatility" and "limitations" are equal across all Focal Length ranges and for all uses.

Specifically what I mean is - a 24 to 105 zoom we probably will rate as "extremely versatile"; so too a 16 to 35 zoom.

A 70 to 200 zoom is probably quite versatile for most Photographers and in general purpose usage; as too a 100 to 400 is 'versatile' when it is being used for a variety of purposes.

But it seems to me that your main aim / interest is getting close to birds, or dragon boats.

Be wary about buying any zoom to essentially only use it, at its longest Focal Length.

WW

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Janis,

After reading your comments in the thread, it seems like it might be a good idea for you to at least consider renting a lens for a weekend to determine if it's truly a good fit for you. Some rental companies will apply at least part of the rental price to the purchase price.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post

Be wary about buying any zoom to essentially only use it, at its longest Focal Length.

WW
    I totally agree with that statement. As an example, the 400mm f/5.6L Canon prime is an excellent bird in flight lens because, I normally shoot birds at the longest focal length available. The lack of IS doesn't bother me in shooting birds because I will normally shoot at a high shutter speed. The maximum f/5.6 aperture is also no problem because I could shoot wide open with that lens and still get great IQ. If this were a Canon posting, I would have recommended the 400mm f/5.6L lens because of its relatively light weight for a lens of its focal length (2.75 pounds or 1.25 kilogram). At $1,150 USD new price from B&H and around $700-800 USD used on eBay, it is also a great bargain.

OTOH... I don't concentrate on a single type of subject.

The Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II lens is far more versatile than the 400mm f/5.6L not only because of the range of focal lengths available but because of its excellent image stabilization and its capability to focus quite close. The image quality of the 100-400 II lens is (IMO) equal or at least very-very close to equaling the great IQ of the 400mm f/5.6L.

Therefore, there is more to consider in the selection of a lens than focal length and f/stop...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

[QUOTE=george013;676315]
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

You didn't quote everything.

Off course it depends on the people working there. Your choice is your responsibility. That counts for an internet store too. But in a direct dialogue I can make some assumption of how good the other one is. I don't know how to do that with an internet store. I've to talk to my self in the mirror.

If you exactly know what you want and you are sure of that the article you order is what you want, then ......

There's also the guarantee issue. In Holland the shop has to give the guarantee. That's is going to be difficult when the internet store is abroad. I don't say it never works, but you've to calculate with it.

She's buying a lens with a value of over $2000. No hair on my head( is that English?) will think of it to buy that on the internet.

George
    George - Canada is not Europe and there are definitely difference there.

With respect to Nikon; Nikon Canada will only repair lenses bought in Canada (warranty and out of warranty), so I would never recommend buying an expensive lens from a source outside the country unless one wants to ship it back to the repair facility in the source country.

All of the major online camera stores are the websites of regular "bricks & mortar" stores. Warranty service means shipping the camera and / or lens back to Nikon in Toronto (actually Mississauga, which is a city at starts at the western boundary of Toronto). The last time I had something in for Nikon service, I had it back in my hands 8 calendar days later (it takes one day each way for shipping), so the service turnaround time is quite good.

Real Name
    George

[QUOTE=GrumpyDiver;676446]

George - Canada is not Europe and there are definitely difference there.

With respect to Nikon; Nikon Canada will only repair lenses bought in Canada (warranty and out of warranty), so I would never recommend buying an expensive lens from a source outside the country unless one wants to ship it back to the repair facility in the source country.

All of the major online camera stores are the websites of regular "bricks & mortar" stores. Warranty service means shipping the camera and / or lens back to Nikon in Toronto (actually Mississauga, which is a city at starts at the western boundary of Toronto). The last time I had something in for Nikon service, I had it back in my hands 8 calendar days later (it takes one day each way for shipping), so the service turnaround time is quite good.
    And what about a second hand lens. One that has been purchased out of Canada one or more owners earlier?

I'm still thinking of what MAP means, the minimum advertised price. If this price is the suggested retail price by Nikon, than it's also the maximum price.

George
    Last edited by george013; 31st May 2017 at 07:13 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm still thinking of what MAP means, the minimum advertised price. If this price is the suggested retail price by Nikon, than it's also the maximum price.
    No, it's not the suggested retail price. It is the lowest price the retailer is allowed to display in advertisements for the product. The retailer can sell for less. The suggested retail price for the lens is $CAD 2699.95 and can be found on the Nikon Canada website. The MAP seems to be $CAD 1879.00, which can be found on the retailer's website.

Real Name
    George

No, it's not the suggested retail price. It is the lowest price the retailer is allowed to display in advertisements for the product. The retailer can sell for less. The suggested retail price for the lens is $CAD 2699.95 and can be found on the Nikon Canada website. The MAP seems to be $CAD 1879.00, which can be found on the retailer's website.
    When we're talking about the Nikkor AF-S 300mm F4E PF ED VR, AdenCamera shows $2599.00 when put in the basket.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

When we're talking about the Nikkor AF-S 300mm F4E PF ED VR, AdenCamera shows $2599.00 when put in the basket.

George
    This is what I see.

Thoughts on Nikkor 300 mm f/4

Real Name
    George

This is what I see.

Thoughts on Nikkor 300 mm f/4
    The newest and the light weight. That's the PF one, and with VR.

George

Real Name
    KaZ

im not a fan of fixed focal length lenses, i know they give the sharpest images and the widest aperture but i find them so frustrating to use, subjects always seem to close of too far away, i much prefer the super zooms, i know they are heavy but id rather be able to stay in the place and zoom in and out than try to get closer or move farther away.

Real Name
    Janis

Apologies for my absence; had been neglecting spring chores and needed to shift my focus. Was finally out shooting again last weekend and had occasion to think some more about this prime. On Sunday, I visited a new interpretive trail just off the highway to the family cottage. The trail is mostly boardwalk through highly sensitive wetlands. Many of the area's 28 native orchids were in bloom, but being restricted to the boardwalk, my shooting choices were limited by the reach of my 70-200 mm lens. I was very aware that on this particular trail, which crosses through cedar forests and wide expanses of meadow-like fen, I was wanting both wide angle and telephoto, which meant that, if I went for the prime, I would probably be wanting to carry two cameras. But on the other hand, I had very deliberately chosen to carry just the one lens all weekend and to focus on shots that lent themselves to its range, so there is something to be said for accepting the limitations of whatever you have at hand and making the most of them.
    George, you were right, it is the more expensive lens I was looking at, and I was choking on the cost, but I just happened to see tonight that it is on sale at Henry's for $400 off. Might be harder to resist now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast