Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on Nikkor 300 mm f/4

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Thoughts on Nikkor 300 mm f/4

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    . . . had been neglecting spring chores and needed to shift my focus. . .
    Hilarious pun . . . I do hope it was intended.

WW

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Hilarious pun . . . I do hope it was intended.

WW
    Hey, we language professionals know how to write for our audience.

Real Name
    Janis

Well, I succumbed. Drove down to Henry's and put in an order; it should be arriving on Thursday. Fingers crossed that it is a good copy.

Real Name
    George

Well, I succumbed. Drove down to Henry's and put in an order; it should be arriving on Thursday. Fingers crossed that it is a good copy.
    I'm curious about your findings with this type of lens.

George

Real Name
    randy

I am just a bit curious......the lens in an earlier post is not the lighter PF version. The PF version will not come with a tripod mount. The AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR weighs in at 26.6 oz, whereas the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED weighs 50.8 oz.

By all accounts, the heavier version may be a little sharper, has a nice bokeh, but does weigh nearly twice as much. I have the PF version and like it quite a bit. The bokeh can get a little weird with a linear background.

Thoughts on Nikkor 300 mm f/4
    3" gecko pair from 12' away with PF and 1.4 tc

Real Name
    Janis

George, I will be sure to let you know how I like it.

Yes, Randy, it is the PF version I am looking at, precisely because of the weight factor. I already have a collar for my 70-200 f/4 that is supposed to fit, but the user reviews I have read say the PF version mounts well on a tripod without. Glad to know you like your lens; I'd be quite happy to get the quality you have with the TC.

For those who are interested, here is a description of Nikon's Phase Fresnel technology, with pros and cons: https://petapixel.com/2015/01/10/clo...ns-technology/.

I am skeptical about the degree to which the software can reduce the flare issue, so I am just going to do my best to put light sources behind me.

Real Name
    randy

I am skeptical about the degree to which the software can reduce the flare issue, so I am just going to do my best to put light sources behind me.
    I really have not had a problem with flare. I think that most use of this lens tends to be with sun at one's back or to the side, which makes flare a moot issue.

I think that you will have fun with this lens, I use mine for 'close-ups' as often as telephoto. As you stated, there are times when getting close to some flora is a bit dicey; I remember one particularly fine stand of marsh marigold on the opposite bank of an icy, raging river....focal length was a definite asset.

Real Name
    Janis

Picked the lens up last night; first few shots in the fading light at f/4 and ISO 3200 pretty impressive. Can't wait to put it to work; watch this space.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Have fun with your new lens! I look forward to seeing what you end up doing with it.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post

I think that you will have fun with this lens
    So much fun!

f/5.6 @ 1/320, 200 IS0, with Nikkor TC-14EIII

Real Name
    randy

I do like this setup....I will not lie. How do you like the balance of the setup?

Real Name
    Janis

So far, I am quite impressed. I am able to shoot handheld quite comfortably, and at surprisingly (for me) low shutter speeds (down to a .25 sec. at least). The VR is living up to its advertising, though that was not a prime selling feature for me. With the teleconverter on, I felt I needed my monopod, but perhaps in time, I will be able to do without. The narrower field of view is certainly going to take getting used to, and I missed all of my shots of the above bird in flight. But that is the only negative, so far. I am still cropping on most of the bird shots, but I am able to get close to insects and animals and people without them noticing me, and so I think this lens is going to be expanding my horizons. I am going to take it along to an outdoor music festival this weekend and perhaps steal some souls. I will have the little Sony (18-70 mm) with me for the wider angle shots, but it would be nice to finally get some decent closeups of the performers.

Speaking of close-ups, this was shot just at the edge of the 300 mm's closest focusing distance (1.4 m).

f/5.6 @ 1/200, 640 ISO

It's a lot of money for not that much more distance, but that little bit more does make a difference and I do love me the quality of a good prime.

My brother's new dog, a rescue named Kona.

f/5.6 @ 1/400, 400 ISO
    Last edited by purplehaze; 6th July 2017 at 06:03 AM.

Real Name
    George

Looks good. In the first picture the corrected focal length is mentioned, 420mm.
    And in the second one a nice fall off of the sharpness.
    That dog walks like a model.
    How is the weight?

George

Real Name
    Janis

Hi, George. Yes, with the 1.4 TC, the focal length is 420 mm, and the effective length on my 1.5 crop sensor camera is 630 mm. The weight is 755 g or 1.6 lbs. It actually weighs less than my Sigma 18-35 mm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123