Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: On the bench

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

On the bench

I wanted to try a shooting combination I have not tried before; my 47" octabox with my Godox Witstro 360 flash. I wanted to do a blended daylight /flash shot where I overpower the daylight with the flash. I'm supposed to be doing a model shoot on Thursday evening, so I wanted to see how the setup works.

I used my grandson Kane (he who won't sit still) as my subject. I like the image but probably should have had about 2/3 eV more ambient light for the background as it turned out a bit darker than I wanted. If the weather cooperates, I might run some more tests tonight.

I also wanted to see if TinyPix is still not working properly and found that to be the case, so I used Flickr instead.

On the bench

Real Name
    Richard

Re: On the bench

Really nice shot of your handsome little guy. Would you think of cropping the bottom along the board of the bench. I know that there are two ways to consider this but, I kind of like it without the bottom portion of background.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Really nice shot of your handsome little guy. Would you think of cropping the bottom along the board of the bench. I know that there are two ways to consider this but, I kind of like it without the bottom portion of background.
    Thanks Richard; you are right and it is a matter of taste. I looked at that option while I was cropping the image and found I preferred the version I posted because it seems a bit more open and airy that way. Of course, I was up late and that could have clouded my judgement.

On the bench

TinyPix seems to have worked for this image.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I understand that the ambient light is darker than you had planned, but it certainly doesn't look unnatural or unappealing.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I changed my lighting setup and camera / flash settings and have figured out the way I want to shoot. I am now happy with how the background has turned out.

On the bench

Real Name
    Susan

For what it is worth the background in the second shot looks much more like daylight to my eyes ;-). He sure is cute no matter what the light.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the original shot from the cropped edited one. The last shot is nicer...

Real Name
    Sharon

Just adorable