Thread: Shoot that wine bottle

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Shoot that wine bottle

Real Name
    Robbie.

Re: Shoot that wine bottle

Hmmm....unsubscribe...

Seriously though, his technique needs some love, imagine a product photographer that just slams down on the shutter button and prances around the set shaking everything up..

The end result is pretty poor also IMHO.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I haven't watched a lot of video tutorials but of the presenters I have seen, Dustin is the best. Ironically, an advertisement for one of Alex Koloskov's videos was displayed on the right side and his presentation skills aren't nearly as effective.

Dustin's method explained in the tutorial provides for maximum flexibility when it comes to digitally creating the tabletop and background. However, I prefer making all of that happen in the studio and simply including all those details in the capture.

One point I want to make for people who haven't done this stuff and are interested in getting into it is that a much smaller strip box, diffuser and reflector that cost less and require less space will create the same look. Smaller items also require smaller or even no stands. As an example, a small reflector made of white paper folded into a triangular shape will stand on its own on the tabletop.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 29th May 2017 at 12:10 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ekins View Post
    The end result is pretty poor also IMHO.
    I was surprised about that. Even so, he does demonstrate the method of getting the job done if more time was taken to properly execute everything. I appreciate that his time is highly constrained because he's trying to keep the video as short as possible.

I do wonder why he used plastic grapes; they look hideous in my mind. One could argue that his lighting of the lettering and other somewhat shiny details in the wine label helped display the shape of the bottle, but my own preference would have been to light those details more evenly or to make them appear more even during post-processing.