Thread: Lady of Seville.

Real Name
    Chris

Lady of Seville.

Snapped this at the Spring fair in Seville, Spain....there is a more 'modest' cropped version but it failed to upload about 5 times so went this this one....did I do her justice?

Lady of Seville.

Have tried to include the modest version below from my flickr site...not sure if it will work!

Lady of Seville.Sevilliana 4.1 croped x2 with skin toneSevilla. May 02, 2017 SEV_0605.jpg by Chris Connorton, on Flickr

The tiny pics version didnt work so here is the flickr version....is less more here?

Lady of Seville.Sevilliana 4.1 croped with skin tone Sevilla. May 02, 2017 SEV_0605.jpg by Chris Connorton, on Flickr

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Lady of Seville.

She is a pretty woman but your shot of her has a yellow colour cast...would that failed TinyPic image holds the correction? Just curious...

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    She is a pretty woman but your shot of her has a yellow colour cast...would that failed TinyPic image holds the correction? Just curious...
    Don't know but I don't think so given some of the photos I have seen on this site....

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

Can I ask if a 'reflector' with any gold colour was being used to 'fill' her face?

I ask because it seems to me that the yellow tones apply mostly to her neck and face - and any other surfaces that face forward and down. Her dress material that faces outwards either side seems much 'whiter', although I don't have time to do any further technical analysis.

Of the two we see, the tighter cropped version avoids the distractions of her sleeves, bracelets, hands, etc.

HTH, Dave

Real Name
    John

Nicely framed, I would say the Flickr version works more for me but would've liked to see more of her hands in the shot.

Real Name
    Jean

Nice shot, I agree with Dave on gold reflector (if it is?).
    Beatiful eys and expression as well as hairdressing.
    I suggest a crop just under her left hand to have the entire V shape of her dress (without her wristbands visible)

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks everyone...no there was not reflector...I just walking past her and asked if I could take her picture. No flash no nothing.

Not sure where the yellow cast comes from but its not so pronounced on my monitor at home. When I get home I will check the setting in LR and see if I have messed up somehow.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Seochris View Post
    Don't know but I don't think so given some of the photos I have seen on this site....
    I don't you what you mean by 'some of the photos' you have seen on this site. If your monitor is calibrated it is easy to see the colour cast. Comparing this one to the photos on this site like the pictures I submit here for critique will be unfair as we submit shots here for critique for the learning experience. There are many experts here like Dave Humpries and others who are willing to teach professional amateurs like me to improve my shots.

Real Name
    Richard

I suspect that the color cast might have something to do with the makeup she had applied... What do you think

I tried my darndest, using NIK Viveza, to remove that color cast but was unsuccessful

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi again Chris,

OK, so no gold reflector, thanks for the clarification, so, investigating this a little further ...

Looking at some of the other shots of the ladies in your photostream reveals that the ground is (at least in some parts) sand, which is yellow and I suspect the sky was a cloudless blue.

Now looking again at the shot in this thread, I'd have thought a couple* of localised adjustments could be applied to effect a change of WB to account for the fact that the sunlit sand illuminating her from below

* one for the cheeks down to neck, where it's most pronounced, plus a lesser one for the forehead and other areas that look** a bit too yellow

** compared to the rest of her, which if you think about it, was probably illuminated by 'clear blue sky' light

All the above suggestions rely upon you leaving the overall WB as it is.
    If you change the overall to remove the yellow, the other parts of the image will be too blue, but this is all consistent with the WB balance of the specific light sources illuminating the different facing surfaces of the girl herself and her dress.

That said, Richard's suggestion of make up (or spray tan) could also be complicating the problem.

HTH, Dave

Real Name
    Richard

I don't expect that this occurred in this shot but, with the advent of electronic flash, the early flashes had no UV filter over the light source at the flash head. This would cause many types of women's makeup to come alive and actually fluoresce because of the brightening agents included in the makeup. You would have women with green and/or blue spots strategically illuminating their faces in the spots where they applied the makeup containing the brightening agents...