Thread: Wide Angle for Nikon FF

Real Name
    Grahame

Wide Angle for Nikon FF

I'm in the process of putting together a shopping list for a forthcoming trip to the UK.

The item at the top of the list is a wide angle for my FF and all research to date has me convinced that the
    Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D AF-S IF-ED is what I'll go for.

Main uses will be land/seascape and night time photography.

Has anyone had experience of this lens and come across any downsides to it?

Grahame

Real Name
    George

Re: Wide Angle for Nikon FF

Did you consider the Tamron 15-30 2.8? Cheaper and has better reviews.

George

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Did you consider the Tamron 15-30 2.8? Cheaper and has better reviews.

George
    Unfortunately the Tamron has no filter thread George, that alone counts it out for me.

I would have certainly considered Tamron in favour of a Nikon lens if it had what I wanted.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 5th June 2017 at 08:33 AM.

Real Name
    George

I see.
    There is a filter holder for the lens. I can't tell you more.

George

Real Name
    John

Grahame,

Are the wide angles in your gear list DX lenses, did you get a kit lens when you purchased the FF?

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I see.
    There is a filter holder for the lens. I can't tell you more.

George
    I recall seeing an article about someone that had made an adaptor to fit over the hood so that they could use a filter system but a lot of work and cost was involved.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Grahame,

Are the wide angles in your gear list DX lenses, did you get a kit lens when you purchased the FF?
    John,

The 10-20 sigma I have is a DX John and whilst I have given this a go on the FF in cropped mode I have found framing the shot in the viewfinder a real pain when working in very poor light conditions. When I use it on the D300 I am limited by the lens f/4 aperture and the D300 poorer noise performance.

So the widest I presently have is the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron FF which I love but want wider

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    I recall seeing an article about someone that had made an adaptor to fit over the hood so that they could use a filter system but a lot of work and cost was involved.
    The pentax fits on this lens.
    http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-sw150

https://nisifilters.com.au/product/n...amron-15-30mm/

George

Real Name
    Bill

Grahame, I'm not sure how "wide angle" you want to go, but my Nikkor 24-85 does a good job. If you want to go extreme, the Samyang 14mm is really sharp and there is a Samyang filter holder for it (drop in of unusual dimensions) but I don't have it so can't really comment.

Real Name
    Grahame

George,

I'll have a look at these in more detail today as the Tamron is certainly a contender. It's also the Lee filters I'll be getting on the same shopping trip to replace my variable ND.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Grahame, I'm not sure how "wide angle" you want to go, but my Nikkor 24-85 does a good job. If you want to go extreme, the Samyang 14mm is really sharp and there is a Samyang filter holder for it (drop in of unusual dimensions) but I don't have it so can't really comment.
    Bill, I already have an excellent Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and want to get to about 15/17mm widest but want the versatility of a zoom as well.

For the rare really wide shot the Sigma gives me 15mm, but with it's limitations as in post 7.

Real Name
    John

John,

The 10-20 sigma I have is a DX John and whilst I have given this a go on the FF in cropped mode I have found framing the shot in the viewfinder a real pain when working in very poor light conditions. When I use it on the D300 I am limited by the lens f/4 aperture and the D300 poorer noise performance.

So the widest I presently have is the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron FF which I love but want wider
    Grahame,

Thought as much, when I went FF I bought without getting the kit lens which I think was a 24-120mm, I got along with the 18-55 and 10-24 DX versions for a while, like you I tired of the cropping although at times the vignette was a bit easier to handle than shooting in crop mode. I eventually went with the 24-70mm f/2.8 and like it a lot; when working with a FF wide angle the UW really complicates my composition; a lot more zooming with your feet is involved.

Real Name
    Richard

Filter adapters for 15-30mm f/2.8 Tamron
    https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...mron+15-30+2.8

FOR THE WIDEST (I think) ZOOM Available for full frame Nikon cameras...

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II Lens (For Nikon)
    $949 at B&H
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...5_6_EX_DG.html
    I would guess that this would match up pretty well with your 24-70 Nikkor...

There is a Lee Filter Adapter available:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...geID/accessory

My personal UWA is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX Mark-1 which is designed for a Canon crop sensor but IS NOT an EFS mount. I can use it on my 5D Mark-2 at 17-18mm without vignetting causing a problem... I regretted not taking this lens to Charleston SC because the shooting area in the historical sector was really tight; causing me problems with my 17-55mm lens.

I also have a 8mm Vivitar f/3.5 (Samyang, etc., etc) fish eye which is designed for a crop sensor but which produces a circular image on a full frame cmera...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th June 2017 at 04:21 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

I was not aware of the LEE SW150 system George so have worked out what I would need based on a supplier I can use whilst in the UK, if I was to go for that option. For info it works out at over twice the cost for the LEE 100mm system for use with a standard lens thread.

There are other cheaper options available but dealing with such things as mail order are not ideal on a short visit.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Filter adapters for 15-30mm f/2.8 Tamron
    https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...mron+15-30+2.8

FOR THE WIDEST (I think) ZOOM Available for full frame Nikon cameras...

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II Lens (For Nikon)
    $949 at B&H
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...5_6_EX_DG.html
    I would guess that this would match up pretty well with your 24-70 Nikkor...
    I discounted this Sigma option Richard as I really want an f/2.8 constant aperture to give the advantage when needed for working in poor light and ease of use with long exposure work.

And I still have this nagging concern that as most of my work is around the ocean my lenses at times get spray, moisture and salt on the front, a situation easily manageable with a protection filter screwed on the front
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 6th June 2017 at 05:00 AM.

Real Name
    Bill

And I still have this nagging concern that as most of my work is around the ocean my lenses at times get spray, moisture and salt on the front, a situation easily manageable with a protection filter screwed on the front
    +1 on that as a general principle, but especially in conditions such as these.

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

...Has anyone had experience of this lens and come across any downsides to it?
    I have had the AF-S 17-35 for quite some years. My sample is from the first series (1999-2005) and it has the well known audible focus squeak. Web sites tell me it means the focus motor may be near end of life. Mine has squeaked for a long time and it still works. I reckon you plan on buying a used sample, and you should probably negotiate price if it squeaks.

My AF-S 17-35 used to be real work horse for me, but has been less used the last four-five years. I have come to like the AF-S 20mm f/1.8 better on Nikon FX (D800E). It may be me growing old, the 20mm is half the weight, but I also feel the 20mm is a better lens (I do not shoot test charts). For some reason I have lost more lens hoods off the 17-35 than my other Nikkors combined, I learned to always buy two HB-23...

Real Name
    Grahame

Thank you for this info on the 17-35 Odd,

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    I have had the AF-S 17-35 for quite some years. My sample is from the first series (1999-2005) and it has the well known audible focus squeak. Web sites tell me it means the focus motor may be near end of life. Mine has squeaked for a long time and it still works. I reckon you plan on buying a used sample, and you should probably negotiate price if it squeaks.
    I had not heard of the focus squeak and have since found reference to it in a few forums.

Yes, it is my intention to purchase this lens secondhand from a reputable dealer if I decide on it so it's good to have this info, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    My AF-S 17-35 used to be real work horse for me, but has been less used the last four-five years. I have come to like the AF-S 20mm f/1.8 better on Nikon FX (D800E). It may be me growing old, the 20mm is half the weight, but I also feel the 20mm is a better lens (I do not shoot test charts). For some reason I have lost more lens hoods off the 17-35 than my other Nikkors combined, I learned to always buy two HB-23...
    The weight is something that I'm not concerned about as I see it as a lens I will primarily be using on a tripod and not walking too far with.

The lens cap situation perhaps suggests they have a shallow depth to the filter thread.

What I did find mentioned was that it had a lack of dust sealing, which whilst it has the advantage of being able to fit a protection filter it could be good at sucking in salt laden air

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

...The lens cap situation perhaps suggests they have a shallow depth to the filter thread.
    The scalloped lens hood has a bayonet mount. Like most Nikon users I have lost some of Nikon lens caps as well, but I think I misplaced and forgot most of them rather the lens caps falling off while hiking.

My 17-35 has collected a little dust. I think you will find that to be true for most lenses that see a decade or more of real use.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Something a little left field compared to other responders so far - I've recently picked up a wide angle prime, which has excellent IQ

The Nikon 20mm f1.8