Thread: Look up!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Look up!

One aspect of photography a lot of photographers seem to miss is what one sees when one looks straight up.

This is the ceiling, staircase and mezzanine of the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Quebec (on the other side of the Ottawa River from Ottawa, Canada).

I've updated the first shot with three more images taken the same way, but I moved around and used different focal lengths.

Version 1

Look up!

Version 2

Look up!

Version 3

Look up!

Version 4

Look up!
    Last edited by Manfred M; 6th June 2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added two more versions

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Look up!

A very interesting image--and not the first time that you have posted one showing how interesting it can be to photograph straight up. I think I remember one you did of the Holocaust Memorial in Boston.

I think I would clone out the circle (is it an electrical box cover?) inside the arc on the far left.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very colorful...as your present avatar; well done

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    A very interesting image--and not the first time that you have posted one showing how interesting it can be to photograph straight up. I think I remember one you did of the Holocaust Memorial in Boston.
    Good memory Dan - I did that shot a couple of years ago.

I have always had the bad habit of looking up, so much so that as I young child I kept tripping and falling down because I was so busy looking up that I would miss things in front of my feet because I did not see them.

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I think I would clone out the circle (is it an electrical box cover?) inside the arc on the far left.
    That was my first thought as well. I cloned it out and then put it back in because I found the untextured gray area needed something to break it up.

Look up!

Real Name
    Paul David

I like it.

Real Name
    Sandy

Super sharp, glorious colors - simply beautiful! I think I like it better without the little circle in the grey area.

Funny how we view our world - I tend to look down because I find things that way. For instance as a kid I found a strip of amusement ride tickets! <grin> Had a blast that day!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I am bit confused; is that single ceiling or a spirally receding staircase view with the distant final ceiling?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I am bit confused; is that single ceiling or a spirally receding staircase view with the distant final ceiling?
    The brightly painted parts are the ceiling as are the circles around the painted part. The protrusions are a staircase on the left hand size and a mezzanine level (balcony) on the right hand side. There are also walls and windows in some of the shots.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 6th June 2017 at 04:53 PM.

Real Name
    John

Nice compositions.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

When I first joined a forum, I decided on Digital Photography School because they have assignments like lines, curves, looking up, looking down, etc. I am not with them anymore as forums takes a bit of my time away from home, so to speak. I only mentioned it because of your title...and looking up has its merits too. I agree with you that many pretty pictures could have been taken just looking up, like this one you have here. They are very colourful. Nicely processed.