Thread: Vase revisited

Real Name
    Peter

Vase revisited

This vase has appeared on here either partially as in Nature isn't perfect (part 2) or in full in a couple of other threads. This image was made the same evening as the other two full length images that I've posted previously.
    However for this one my approach was to create an image that included a full reflection of the vase. I didn't have the patience or materials to eliminate the room reflections in the glass. The background is the rear side (un-bleached) of a piece of blue card. It is formed in to a curve by being stood on the seat of a dining chair that has a curved shape to the backrest. The chair was then pushed in against the curve of the dining table.

There's a French door behind and to the left side of the chair/card with sunlight shining in to the room and on to the table top. I have extended the canvas slightly top and bottom to give a little more space between the subject/reflection and the frame edges.

The image clearly shows the distinct green colouration on the right side (as viewed) of the vase and the adhesive maker/retailers labels on the rear of it.

As always your thoughts and comments are most welcome.

Vase revisited

Real Name
    John

Re: Vase revisited

Nicely positioned and captured.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This composition is SO nice. You are very lucky to have a round table that so nicely complements the curves of the subject and its reflection. You are very wise to take advantage of that.

The reflections of items in the room don't bother me at all, and this is a good example when they can be advantageous. As a reminder, I believe in the concept that there are only two kinds of reflections: wanted and unwanted. These reflections are wanted at least in my mind.

You were very creative to position the chair and the background just so to make the image. Even so, I wonder about digitally changing the color of the background and its reflection in the vase to go with a color that complements the rest of the image a bit better.

If the vase was mine, I would remove the labels on the rear of it for photographic purposes. But I might not tell my wife. Consider digitally removing evidence of them.

I assume you realize by now that your vase could be the subject of a virtually endless number of photos. Considering your skill at making that happen, I look forward to viewing each and every one of them.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Simple; beautiful; simply beautiful....

Real Name
    Peter

Thank you Mike and Nandakumar for taking time to look and comment on this image. Mike I did consider physically removing the two labels, but I was convinced that I wouldn't like the resulting hospital foodVase revisited. I will look at changing the background colour.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Binnur

I like this one very much Peter, very plain and nice

Real Name
    Susan

So lovely Peter. The curved background is perfect and adds a nice subtle layer to all the other repeating curves. The table top is almost cloud like. I'm curious about what aperture you used here and where you focused, if you don't mind?
    I think the room reflections add an interesting element but I'm not much for the labels personally ;-). Sorry I missed the previous posts!

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    So lovely Peter. The curved background is perfect and adds a nice subtle layer to all the other repeating curves. The table top is almost cloud like. I'm curious about what aperture you used here and where you focused, if you don't mind?
    I think the room reflections add an interesting element but I'm not much for the labels personally ;-). Sorry I missed the previous posts!
    I don't mind at all Susan. The Exif is shown below in image #2. To help with understanding the scale the vase is 360mm high from the base to the tip, IHTH.

#1 The original Raw file showing the active focus point in red.

Vase revisited

#2 The Exif details

Vase revisited

Real Name
    Susan

Super! I appreciate you taking the time. It's very helpful. I probably should figure out how to view the EXIF details sometime soon.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    Super! I appreciate you taking the time. It's very helpful. I probably should figure out how to view the EXIF details sometime soon.
    Susan, depending upon which browser you use there's usually an add on that will let you see Exif details in an image on the internet. This is usually viewed by right clicking on the image. However you may find that some people/software strip out the Exif detail when posting images on the Internet.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk