Thread: Over the Shoulder

Real Name
    John

Over the Shoulder

Trying different editing methods, used mostly Nik.

Over the Shoulder

f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/200 sec, flash.

Real Name
    John

Re: Over the Shoulder

John, not something I do a lot of but I quite like this as a low key Portrait but I am aware that shoulders and hands can be a problem because they can distract. My instinct would be to tone down both to leave more emphasis on the face. I would also blend in the highlight at the end of her nose. Finally It might be worth increasing the modelling slightly but that is a matter of taste. Something like:

Over the Shoulder

Real Name
    John

Hi John,

Thanks for comments and critique. Using Lightbox lets me see the subtle difference between my edit and yours. Your method seems to emphasize the eyes more and brings out the details of the hair.

Real Name
    John

Another from the set.

Over the Shoulder

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi John,

I actually prefer, for this subject, your original processed version, I find John 2's a bit harsh for a female subject and it also makes her forehead look very 'sweaty'

Possibly somewhere between them would be better, since I agree with John 2 that her hand and shoulders are competing for our attention. Ideally, feathering the light at time of capture would have been preferable, but since we now only have a PP option; I'd try to replicate that effect, perhaps with a subtle gradient filter, rather than just attack the bright areas with 'spot' treatments to reduce their brightness.

In the additional shot, I find the disembodied hand attracts my attention, but cropping it off or cloning it out does her no favours with that loose jumper/sweater hanging down straight. Cloning might work if there were more space above the head as per the first image, or cropping more off the bottom, so she's 'cut' just below the waist. Still musing on this.

HTH, Dave

Real Name
    John

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will give the gradient filter a try. Looking forward to more suggestions on the second image.

Real Name
    John

Trying an unusual crop for a portrait.

Over the Shoulder