Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tigress (C&C welcomed)

Real Name
    Kim

Tigress (C&C welcomed)

I haven't photographed anything sports related in over a year. Today however, I went to watch a favorite softball player (a friend's daughter). This girl plays with SO much heart and everything about her shows her passion and dedication to the sport.

Tigress (C&C welcomed)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Tigress (C&C welcomed)

Kim - while the technical aspects of this image are well executed (something we have come to expect from your images), I find the pose looks a bit odd with all of her limbs sticking out. I think the shot would be more effective if one or more were bent at the joint. The other part that I don't love is that while her face / head is in perfect profile, I find looking at people from the back a lot less interesting than looking at them from the front.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Your photo is so good that the first thing I thought was to compare it to Annie Leibovitz's photo of Ila Borders. I've seen a large print of the the Leibovitz photo in a museum and it is nothing short of stunning. There's no question that Leibovitz and Borders did the shoot as a staged event, as opposed to your shoot which presumably was done during a game. Your passion for your pitcher's passion is so evident in the photo that I hope the two of you will get together to do a staged shoot in an ideal setting with ideal light, etc., etc.

Back to your photo: I won't be surprised if, much like the reaction to your photo of the person riding the cutting horse that doesn't include all of the rider, you get at least some negative comments from people who haven't spent much time studying pitchers, especially fast-pitch softball pitchers. I just love the energy in this photo, especially indicated by both of the pitcher's feet being off the ground and (contrary to Manfred's comment) by her fully extended arms and legs. Indeed, for those who compare the arms and legs in your photo to the same in Leibovitz's photo, they are different because one pitcher is throwing underhand and the other one is throwing overhand.

My only suggestion about your photo is to reduce the saturation of the blue tones in the background, as those tones, not the subject, immediately grabbed my attention when I initially viewed the photo.

Even so, I really do hope you make a shoot happen that gives you and the subject more control over everything.

The more I think about it, the more I think that you posted a photo of this or another female pitcher a long time ago, that I made the comparison with Leibovitz's photo then and also made the suggestion to do a separate shoot. Am I right about that?
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 9th July 2017 at 06:13 AM.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for the comments on the technical aspects Manfred.

As for the pose -- this wasn't posed, it was shot during a game and this position is part of the pitch. If any of her limbs were bent during this aspect, it would be considered "bad position". I personally like the extension and the fact that both feet are off the ground. I shot from the back for a few reasons - if I shoot from the other side then I'm right line with any balls coming off bats from the hitters (I was almost hit twice and don't want to risk injury to myself or my gear), I like the movement in her hair from the back, and I enjoy the the way her extension shows off.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Kim - while the technical aspects of this image are well executed (something we have come to expect from your images), I find the pose looks a bit odd with all of her limbs sticking out. I think the shot would be more effective if one or more were bent at the joint. The other part that I don't love is that while her face / head is in perfect profile, I find looking at people from the back a lot less interesting than looking at them from the front.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks so much Mike! You have a very good memory - I did post something last year and had forgotten.

I'm pleased to share, she has asked me to take her senior photos, and part of the plan is to do some cool softball images at sunset.

Very good point about the blues - I will do that!

The subject, her coach, and her parents love this image as it shows off her form and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Your photo is so good that the first thing I thought was to compare it to Annie Leibovitz's photo of Ila Borders. I've seen a large print of the the Leibovitz photo in a museum and it is nothing short of stunning. There's no question that Leibovitz and Borders did the shoot as a staged event, as opposed to your shoot which presumably was done during a game. Your passion for your pitcher's passion is so evident in the photo that I hope the two of you will get together to do a staged shoot in an ideal setting with ideal light, etc., etc.

Back to your photo: I won't be surprised if, much like the reaction to your photo of the person riding the cutting horse that doesn't include all of the rider, you get at least some negative comments from people who haven't spent much time studying pitchers, especially fast-pitch softball pitchers. I just love the energy in this photo, especially indicated by both of the pitcher's feet being off the ground and (contrary to Manfred's comment) by her fully extended arms and legs. Indeed, for those who compare the arms and legs in your photo to the same in Leibovitz's photo, they are different because one pitcher is throwing underhand and the other one is throwing overhand.

My only suggestion about your photo is to reduce the saturation of the blue tones in the background, as those tones, not the subject, immediately grabbed my attention when I initially viewed the photo.

Even so, I really do hope you make a shoot happen that gives you and the subject more control over everything.

The more I think about it, the more I think that you posted a photo of this or another female pitcher a long time ago, that I made the comparison with Leibovitz's photo then and also made the suggestion to do a separate shoot. Am I right about that?

Real Name
    John

Nicely done, looks as if she is at the apex of a leap.

Real Name
    Kim

thanks John!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely done, looks as if she is at the apex of a leap.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice image Kim I agree with Mike about reducing the saturation of the blue in the BG.

Real Name
    Richard

Nice shot that exhibits lots of RAW energy captured at the peak of the action... The only minor thing than I am not so keen on is how the top of the tree-line follows the top of her shoulders and bisects her head. Just a small point and one that would be difficult to avoid unless you could shoot from a significantly lower or higher angle...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th July 2017 at 08:53 PM.

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you Richard, and yes, I agree, that is not ideal, but it's the best I could get (with as high as I could get, or as low) with the situation (live game).

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Nice shot that exhibits lots of RAW energy captured at the peak of the action... The only minor thing than I am not so keen on is how the top of the tree-line follows the top of her shoulders and bisects her head. Just a small point and one that would be difficult to avoid unless you could shoot from a significantly lower or higher angle...