Thread: M4 a deep space globular cluster captured using what I use for macro!

Real Name
    Brian

M4 a deep space globular cluster captured using what I use for macro!

I know it isn't very good but I went out to capture it and it is visible. I have a lot, make that a humongous amount of stuff to learn. Not the least of which is to learn a whole new pp system. Wish me luck.

For those who aren't familiar with the heavens: Start at the bright star (named Antares) in the center. Move along a line cutting through 2 o'clock. Almost directly below the bright star at one o'clock is a faint fuzzy. That's M4. A globular cluster containing millions of stars.

ISO 1600 ~ Shutter Speed 3.2s ~ F/3.5 ~ Natural Light ~ Sony Alpha a58 ~ Tamron90mm 272E

Post processing is crucial in astrophotography. This time I used Capture 1 Sony Pro and RegiStax6

Last edited by JBW; 11th July 2017 at 03:43 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: M4 a deep space globular cluster captured using what I use for macro!

Congratulations on capturing M4 even if it is faint! I looked it up in my 40 year old Norton's Star Atlas.

I have a somewhat vague recollection that you've said you may acquire an equatorial tracking motor so that you can do longer exposures. Am I correct?

You are an inspiration to continue trying and learning new things.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: M4 a deep space globular cluster captured using what I use for macro!

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Congratulations on capturing M4 even if it is faint! I looked it up in my 40 year old Norton's Star Atlas.

I have a somewhat vague recollection that you've said you may acquire an equatorial tracking motor so that you can do longer exposures. Am I correct?

You are an inspiration to continue trying and learning new things.
    Yes you are. But to all things there is a season. First I need to learn new software, buy a lens for the moon, get a fancy shutter release and save a lot of money and practice.