Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old house and Full Moon

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Old house and Full Moon

I was out on Saturday, fortuitously the moon was just rising at sunset and the horizon clear. Actually some very thin forest fire smoke, which was even better as it cut down the glare from the moon. (Good aside from the horrid situation in the interior of BC with 200 uncontrolled fires burning).

I wanted to wait until the moon cleared the roof line to compose. The mosquitoes were out in full force. I decided to leave before blood loss made me too weak to push the shutter and make it back to the car. As it was I had about 100 mosquitoes in the car with me for the drive home.

Posted two versions. I still don't have enough blood flow to my brain to make a choice.

Any opinions and comments welcome.

Old house and Full Moon

Old house and Full Moon

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Old house and Full Moon

Absolutely love old barns/houses/buildings like this. I almost always see buildings like that in a B/W version. Just add some more contrast to make the shot look 'deeper' and you can't go wrong with B/W. Sorry to hear of your bloodletting to get the shot, but, sacrifices have to be made sometimes.

Real Name
    Binnur

I can't make a choice either, both very nice

Real Name
    John

Suffering for your art is traditional Trevor but a nice result. I agree with Brian. There is another version of the mono image which could be more moody if you deepened the sky in the conversion and lowered the mid tones/shadows. Not necessarily better, just different.
    Last edited by John 2; 11th July 2017 at 08:08 AM.

Real Name
    Paul David

I give a slight edge to the color version.

I like the colour version, it just leads by a fraction. Maybe Brian's suggestion would give the B/W the edge

Phil

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I like B&W by a miniscule.... it has the feeling of night; other misses the beauty of night a bit

Real Name
    John

I would go for the color version provided a bit more detail displayed in the moon. Nice composition.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I will side with the fans of the colour version...Saw some good barns on our trip yesterday and thought of you and your barn shots. And no, we have no time to stop to take any shots at all so don't worry, I can't compete with yours anyway, but I can give you a tip about mosquitoes and bugs -- dishwashing liquid on the exposed part of your body --- face, arms. If you have Dawn dishwashing liquid, the blue one, it is the best one to use.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

As has been said, don't just make the colourful version a B & W.

Old house and Full Moon
    Last edited by Donald; 14th July 2017 at 10:27 AM.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Tervor, I genuinely can't decide between them. Both are excellent. Pushed to make a choice and thinking about putting onto the wall, I think I opt for B&W based on the way that roof looks (expaned) in B&W.

As regards the blood suckers.. don't have them around here, but hunting insects for macro this last month or so has been torture with the Cleg (horse) flies.
    (I actually have a can of fly spray in the car now, 'cos one got in with me last year and I nearly left the road trying to get the little B%~$$d after he bit me on the neck!)

Old buildings must be B&W for me, but I do agree that more contrast would increase the impact. I hope your bites have stopped itching!

Real Name
    Dan

I think I prefer the color, but it's hard. I prefer it because the B&W has too little differentiation between the building in the middle and the vegetation in the foreground. Maybe that could be increased in PP. Considering only the top of the image, I prefer the B&W because it accentuates the interesting shapes and textures on the roof.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Lois N View Post
    Old buildings must be B&W for me, but I do agree that more contrast would increase the impact. I hope your bites have stopped itching!

I drive my wife and kids crazy because I never react to mosquitoe bites. My wife in particular cannot stand to be out with me as I not only do not react, I am one of those rare individuals who are unattractive to mosquitoes. She gets bites and swells immediately; l have one or two on me and do not even notice. The night I shot this was horrendous even for the fortunate like me.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Colour for me too Trevor,

Two reasons;
    Separation of the barn from the bushes surrounding it
    The B&W conversion* has put an overly dark area around the moon, I'd have preferred it more subtle**

* probably because blue colours darkened too much for my taste, in this image

** this explains why I'm not keen on Donald's interpretation either.

Just my musings,
    Dave

Real Name
    Brian

I was born in Vancouver and moved around a bit before settling here in the Philippines. Picture #1 is how I remember old barns. A dilapidated form with all of the color washed out of the wood. The B&W barn in the color bg would be my memory. That being said Donald's B&W version has a lot going for it.

I like more your colour version tbob. Donald's BW version has a very special mood regardless if true to reality or not.

Real Name
    Bill

It was the B&W for me right from the start - and even more so after seeing Donald's version.

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    It was the B&W for me right from the start - and even more so after seeing Donald's version.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Real Name
    Philip

Dilapidated buildings look good in mono to me and perhaps with a more grungy conversion.

Old house and Full Moon

Cheers.
    Philip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast