Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 5D IV battery life

Real Name
    Yes

Canon 5D IV battery life

I am finding the batteries in my 5D IV seem to run down much more quickly then I found with my 7D or 5D III, especially when turned off. In particular when not in use for a couple of weeks the battery is often nearly flat, or goes flat when I start to use it.

I have the camera set so wifi is off and the GPS is off when the camera is turned off.

Today I ruened on the camera, checked the battery, 64%, 10 minutes later camera dies and battery appears flat.

I have a mix of batteries but have yet to research if generics are worse then "Canon" ones.

Has anyone else experienced this.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Canon 5D IV battery life

I found this response to a question on B&H (New York shop) site, I'm not sure if it helps but it gives you a suggested number of images on a charged battery. But whilst not specifically addressing your issue regarding a battery loosing charge when the camera is switched off.

Q: Looks like it uses the same battery LP-E6N (?). How is battery life impacted when using new features (eg, GPS, Dual-pixel raw, etc.) What are the shutter counts on single charge?[/B]

A: The 5D IV uses an update on the LP-E6 (LP-E6N). Canon gives the following information for battery life:
    Camera Body Only
    Viewfinder shooting LP-E6N At 73°F/23°C: 900 At 32°F/0°C 850
    Live View Shooting LP-E6N At 73°F/23°C: 300 At 32°F/0°C 280
    Though, they don't mention if this is with or without GPS enabled. I would think this likely would be t GPS off (GPS will drain battery life, and should be turned off if not needed).

Real Name
    roy

Re: Canon 5D IV battery life

I had a battery go flat in an unused Canon 50D after about 3 weeks. No way would it take a charge after. It wasn't a Canon battery and was only about 18 months old