Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wine: Chateau St. Michelle "Eroica" Riesling -- TAKE 2

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Wine: Chateau St. Michelle "Eroica" Riesling -- TAKE 2

To review my first photo of this wine and an explanation of the wine itself, see this thread.

Setup
    The background and tabletop are separate pieces of the same silver-grey, semi-glossy presentation board.

First Capture (near wine bottle, tabletop, and the base and lower stem of the wine glass):
    A small continuous-light lamp in the right front area lights the tabletop and near wine bottle. A white reflector behind that wine bottle is also lit by that lamp and redirects the light to create the bright areas of the wine in the wine bottle. That redirected light creates flare, so a flag between the white reflector and the camera eliminates it. A medium continuous-light lamp below the background lights it. The light reflected off the background outlines the lower part of the wine glass in dark tones.

Second Capture (background, the other parts of the wine glass and its wine, wine being poured and the neck of the rear wine bottle):
    A small continuous-light lamp on the right side shines through a panel of translucent vellum, which creates the vertical reflections in the wine glass. A medium continuous-light lamp below the background lights it. The light reflected off the background outlines the wine glass in dark tones where the background is brighter and in bright tones where the background is darker. It also lights the wine being poured and the wine in the glass. A flash unit on the left side at the height of the rear wine bottle lights its neck and the wine being poured. It also stops the action of that wine bottle and the pouring wine.

The two captures were merged.

Wine: Chateau St. Michelle "Eroica" Riesling -- TAKE 2
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 14th July 2017 at 04:07 AM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Wine: Chateau St. Michelle "Eroica" Riesling -- TAKE 2

What a creative composition; zillion compliments

Thank you, Nandakumar! The photo required one of my most complicated setups but is very much worth it.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done, good sense of imbalance from the viewer's perspective.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Mike. I have looked at this image several times and I couldn't find what was bothering me Now, I know what it is.I like the image very much but I think it needs a light colored ( grey ?) border. Because when I click on the image to see it lightbox, the image gets smaller on a dark BG and the RHS of the image blends with the dark BG. So, I think a grey border would be good in order to appreciate the image better

Thank you also to John and Binnur!

Binnur: I understand what you mean, as when I display the image on my television, there is also absolutely no separation on the right side between the image and the background. Usually that effect is an enhancement but in this case it's a detriment. However, in any other situation when displaying the image on my computer regardless of the software I regularly use and regardless of how large or small I display the image, the background is either a mid-grey or light grey tone that provides nice separation.

EDIT: View the image at my website. The image will be displayed with a white border on all sides. Then click the image if you want to enlarge it. A border on the right side about one pixel wide will be displayed that separates it from the background.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 15th July 2017 at 12:32 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

The image on your website looks better with those borders Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Thank you also to John and Binnur!

Binnur: I understand what you mean, as when I display the image on my television, there is also absolutely no separation on the right side between the image and the background. Usually that effect is an enhancement but in this case it's a detriment. However, in any other situation when displaying the image on my computer regardless of the software I regularly use and regardless of how large or small I display the image, the background is either a mid-grey or light grey tone that provides nice separation.

EDIT: View the image at my website. The image will be displayed with a white border on all sides. Then click the image if you want to enlarge it. A border on the right side about one pixel wide will be displayed that separates it from the background.

Real Name
    Ole

Mike, the creative imbalance of this picture is what does it for me.
    Cheers Ole

Thanks, Ole! Your use of the term, imbalance, is perfect and is something that I had not thought of to describe the composition.