Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Opteka 500mm F/8 HD for moon and nebulae?

Real Name
    Brian

The Opteka 500mm F/8 HD for moon and nebulae?

Does anyone know about this lens. I'm looking for a lens primarily for the moon and if it worked well for deep space objects like Andromeda and M42.

This might be okay.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rror_lens.html

This has a remarkably good rep.

If there is no consensus that the former is superior I'll be going with the latter.
    Brian

Real Name
    John

Re: The Opteka 500mm F/8 HD for moon and nebulae?

Brian,

Have you read the reviews of each, I read that attaching a UV filter will increase the contrast of images.

Real Name
    Tony

Brian, you've already been here,,

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The more expensive one is faster by 2/3 stop - f/6.3 versus f/8.

I would have thought the extra light gathering capabilities would be an important factor in the decision.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    Brian, you've already been here,,
    whoops

Real Name
    Richard

I don't know if this matters to you but, it seems that the f/8 weighs 12.7 ounces while the f/6.3 weighs 24.7 ounces.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I don't know if this matters to you but, it seems that the f/8 weighs 12.7 ounces while the f/6.3 weighs 24.7 ounces.
    everything is interconnected.

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    (...)
    This has a remarkably good rep.
    Brian,
    I am sorry for not posting this sooner, but I got involved in work that has taken all my time for many long weeks.

Thing is, I have known for some time that I will be heading your way next week. Not exactly to your location though, as I leave wednesday for MNL. I do own a 500mm f/6.3 Samyang reflex/mirror lens in need of a better home. It is a long haul, but if luggage volume and weight permit (lens 0.7kg). I can bring the lens if you think it may work for you. It needs a T/T2 adapter, but I am not prepared to let my T2-Nikon go with the lens, it does not fit your Sony anyway. I would tthink a T/T2-SonyA adapter should be available, but I do not know that for sure.

Let me know if you are interested and can arrange to pick up the lens in MNL (QC).

--
    Odd S.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Brian,
    I am sorry for not posting this sooner, but I got involved in work that has taken all my time for many long weeks.

Thing is, I have known for some time that I will be heading your way next week. Not exactly to your location though, as I leave wednesday for MNL. I do own a 500mm f/6.3 Samyang reflex/mirror lens in need of a better home. It is a long haul, but if luggage volume and weight permit (lens 0.7kg). I can bring the lens if you think it may work for you. It needs a T/T2 adapter, but I am not prepared to let my T2-Nikon go with the lens, it does not fit your Sony anyway. I would tthink a T/T2-SonyA adapter should be available, but I do not know that for sure.

Let me know if you are interested and can arrange to pick up the lens in MNL (QC).

--
    Odd S.
    Thanks for your offer but I shall have to decline. I've realized that I haven't quite got tyhye skills needed for that lens.

Real Name
    Richard

Many many years ago in my film days I had a 500mm F8 mirror lens and enjoyed getting many good photos with it. They do have their downside - doughnut bokeh and less than precise focusing; I never printed them bigger than 10" X 8".

I seriously considered getting that lens while waiting for Olympus to bring the 300mm F4 to the market, but after reading many reviews (DPREVIEW's website) I decided against it - the images posted were just not sharp enough. If you get one I will be very interested to see how well it works for you.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DickyOZ View Post
    Many many years ago in my film days I had a 500mm F8 mirror lens and enjoyed getting many good photos with it. They do have their downside - doughnut bokeh and less than precise focusing; I never printed them bigger than 10" X 8".

I seriously considered getting that lens while waiting for Olympus to bring the 300mm F4 to the market, but after reading many reviews (DPREVIEW's website) I decided against it - the images posted were just not sharp enough. If you get one I will be very interested to see how well it works for you.
    I'll be passing for now. I'll need a tracking mount before I get a lens that brig.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I'll be passing for now. I'll need a tracking mount before I get a lens that brig.
    I really must get my tracking mount to work; I'm really keen to get some decent night sky shots when in the back of beyond. I should have used a DC motor for my prototype instead of being ambitious and using a stepper motor.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DickyOZ View Post
    I really must get my tracking mount to work; I'm really keen to get some decent night sky shots when in the back of beyond. I should have used a DC motor for my prototype instead of being ambitious and using a stepper motor.
    I may not know the difference between a DC and a stepper but I do know there are a gazillion new and interesting things to shoot in the heavens.