Thread: Wine: White Rioja

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Wine: White Rioja

Rioja is a regulated wine region of Spain that is exceptionally well known for its red wines made mostly if not entirely from Tempranillo grapes. Though white wine is also made there, it's not nearly as common in stores, at least not in my area. So, when I had the opportunity to buy this highly rated white Rioja, I didn't hesitate. It's made from 60% Viura, 30% Malvasia and 10% Garnacha Blanca (also called Grenache Blanc) grapes, which is typical.

The shape of the bottle's shoulders is squarer than any bottle I remember except this one. So, I made a point of including the shoulders in the image.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the wine has a slightly bitter aftertaste. Some people like that but neither my wife nor I.

Setup
    I had planned to make the image using a minimum of two captures with the idea that I might also need a third one. It was a pleasant surprise to realize that the setup I had planned made it possible to make the image using just one capture.

The background is my wife's blouse. A medium continuous-light lamp positioned high in the left rear area and a smaller one high on the right side light the overall scene. Two white reflectors in front of and at 45-degree angles to the subject on the left and right sides redirect light onto the label to brighten it. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock positioned directly above the bottle lights the background.

Wine: White Rioja
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 20th July 2017 at 11:35 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Wine: White Rioja

Great image Mike The colors of the BG and the wine suit each other so nicely. Does the color of the BG come from your lighting or is it the real color of the blouse?

Thanks, Binnur!

The blouse really is that color during normal, everyday activities except that I ever so slightly added a yellow color cast to it. I was really lucky that its color, texture and finish so nicely complement the wine label.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 20th July 2017 at 10:47 PM.

Real Name
    John

Nice capture.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I love; it looks very sober

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Mike,

Bitterness in white wine = usually, over-zealous winemakers.

The three classic reasons are...

pressing too much or too roughly

Too much time in skin contact

Too much time in the oak barrels

PS ...like the photo as well

Thanks, guys!

Just in case anyone wonders if Boab knows what he is talking about when it comes to bitterness in wine, he does. The thing that I don't understand is that some people actually like wine that has a slightly bitter taste.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Thanks, guys!

Just in case anyone wonders if Boab knows what he is talking about when it comes to bitterness in wine, he does. The thing that I don't understand is that some people actually like wine that has a slightly bitter taste.
    I assumed the bitterness was intentional especially after first tasting Riesling, but I understand that there are sweeter versions available.

Riesling can be anything from bone dry to sweet. Generally the bitter wines are dry wines, whether made from riesling or any grape. Dry red wines are often described as bitter and bitterness is always associated with tannin. Even so, I've only associated the sensation that makes my tongue feel dry with tannin in red wine, not bitterness. What we taste and feel is what we taste and feel and nobody should try to talk us out of that.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Riesling can be anything from bone dry to sweet. Generally the bitter wines are dry wines, whether made from riesling or any grape. Dry red wines are often described as bitter and bitterness is always associated with tannin. Even so, I've only associated the sensation that makes my tongue feel dry with tannin in red wine, not bitterness. What we taste and feel is what we taste and feel and nobody should try to talk us out of that.
    I usually get a slight sour taste with merlots and cabernets which is why they are a bit lower on my list, at one time those two were the only ones I'd order until I tried Malbec and interestingly it started appearing on more local menus.