Thread: 39% Waxing ~ I gotta get that tracking mount

Real Name
    Brian

39% Waxing ~ I gotta get that tracking mount

You can't beat atmospherics but not a bad shot.
    ISO 64 ~ 1/13s ~ F/8 ~ FinePix S4200

39% Waxing ~ I gotta get that tracking mount

Real Name
    John

Re: 39% Waxing ~ I gotta get that tracking mount

Very nice.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice.
    The consensus is that zoom lenses aren't very good for astro work. But I'm beginning to consider a zoom for at least moon work. Or maybe a bridge camera

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    The consensus is that zoom lenses aren't very good for astro work. But I'm beginning to consider a zoom for at least moon work. Or maybe a bridge camera
    I've never heard that about zoom lenses, I've had success with zooms and with teleconverters when taking lunar shots. I've read on a few astrophotography websites that a 35mm lens is more than capable of capturing deep space shots but have never had much success.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I've never heard that about zoom lenses, I've had success with zooms and with teleconverters when taking lunar shots. I've read on a few astrophotography websites that a 35mm lens is more than capable of capturing deep space shots but have never had much success.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that processing and an excellently set up tracking mount are more important than camera and lens.

Real Name
    Dan

What happened, Brian? I'm gone for a few weeks and you turned you camera 180 degrees from bugs to the sky and from day to night.

You chose a nice phase to shoot. Viewed full size in the light box it seems a tad soft.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    What happened, Brian? I'm gone for a few weeks and you turned you camera 180 degrees from bugs to the sky and from day to night.

You chose a nice phase to shoot. Viewed full size in the light box it seems a tad soft.
    It is a tad soft. But there was high thin cloud and a lower layer of clouds skirting by. It's a long story but a few weeks back just for the heck of it I took a shot of Jupiter with my macro lens. I was amazed when I found that I had gotten not only Jupiter but two of his moons as well. I have always had a hankering to try astro- photography but the cost was prohibitive.

Seems that if one sticks with a camera and doesn't mind stacking lots of shots the results can be spectacular. Going to give it a shot, so to speak.

Let me hijack my own thread? I've spent enough time on the north coast of B.C. to get up close and personal with whales once or twice but I never saw what you had the pleasure to shoot and post here. Well done!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    ...there was high thin cloud and a lower layer of clouds skirting by...
    That will certainly do it. While we were down south this past winter I made a couple of random attempts at the moon. It is amazing how rarely the sky is truly clear in humid climates. Likely not noticed by the casual observer or moonstruck lover but quite the bother to the photographer.

...Seems that if one sticks with a camera and doesn't mind stacking lots of shots the results can be spectacular. Going to give it a shot, so to speak. !
    Interesting. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Real Name
    Richard

Usually, I am not very interested in the skies at night. However, last night around nine PM as I was taking my dogs out for their night time potty break, I saw a bright star near the moon at about a five o'clock position. I wonder what it was.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Usually, I am not very interested in the skies at night. However, last night around nine PM as I was taking my dogs out for their night time potty break, I saw a bright star near the moon at about a five o'clock position. I wonder what it was.
    That would have been Jupiter.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    That will certainly do it. While we were down south this past winter I made a couple of random attempts at the moon. It is amazing how rarely the sky is truly clear in humid climates. Likely not noticed by the casual observer or moonstruck lover but quite the bother to the photographer.

Interesting. I guess we'll see how it goes.
    I have a feeling that it will go quite horribly for a while. You're spot on a truly clear night is a rarity down here.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Nice
    given time I hyope to do better but for now I'm happy