Thread: Walking the Harbour Wall

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Walking the Harbour Wall

Took the new 5DMkIV out today for it's first time.

The shutter is so sensitive. Far more than the 5DS and the 7DMkII. I was touching it as I would those other two and by the time I knew what was happening, I'd taken 5 or 6 frames.

Anyway, it's the person not the camera that makes great images, so blame me not the camera if you don't like this.

Walking the Harbour Wall

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Walking the Harbour Wall

I like.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Dan

My first reaction was that there are too many people. But then I got interested in studying the various poses. Of course you've made the sky interesting and the lighting on the wall is brilliant really showing the texture. I wonder if just a sliver of water could have given more context/location without disturbing the desired composition. But of course I have no idea what was down there.

Every new camera has its nuances to learn. I suppose the designers face the dilemma of incorporating new features/technology without changing things too much for the existing user. And for experienced users it's those very subtle things like you mentioned here that sometimes make huge differences to us. Sometimes good sometimes bad and sometimes just different.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I wonder if just a sliver of water could have given more context/location without disturbing the desired composition. But of course I have no idea what was down there.
    That's the upper level of the wall, Dan. Just below that there is the walkway (these kids were doing what kids do and walking on the part where you're not meant to walk) and then the drop down to the water. So to get water would have had a awful lot more wall (and the tide was out).

My first reaction was that there are too many people. But then I got interested in studying the various poses.
    Once consequence of the light shutter was that it was like on high speed shooting, so this resulting poses stem from me covering various poses. So, sometimes mistakes are good!

Of course you've made the sky interesting and the lighting on the wall is brilliant really showing the texture.
    Yes, I wanted to hold on to the fact that it was a harbour wall. If I had blacked it out it could have easily just been the ground that they were on.

Real Name
    Bill

Great to see you are out and about with the new toy Donald.

I like this as it is.

Real Name
    Peter

Nicely done Donald, is the person in the middle a photographer. He or she looks to have something in their hand plus the back pack seems to suggest so to me. But I'm only viewing on my phone.
    It's probably too early to ask for your thoughts on the 5DMK1V. I would be interested in your thoughts comparing it to the 5DS.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yes, I think it was a camera he was carrying.

The good thing about them is that going from one to the other is no problem at all. Everything is the same, so far as buttons, etc are concerned ... except the additional button on the back of the 5DMkIV that can be customised, for example, for changing ISO.

I see the 5DMkIV as the general workhorse. I will use it hand held and use the 5DS for tripod work.

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Donald,
    Very nice shot with a nice array of textures, patterns and poses to be visually very pleasing.
    My only suggestion would be to crop out most of the empty sky above the cloud as it adds nothing to the composition.
    And just because it is easy to do, I'd play with removing various individuals from the shot, just to see if it strengthens the image. The second from our left and the person on the far (our) right are the least interesting of the five and to me, their exclusion does not cause the shot to suffer.
    Either way, very nice work.
    Robert

Real Name
    John

Nicely composed.

Real Name
    Richard

I like this image... Nicely seen and captured.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I like this image... Nicely seen and captured.
    Thank you, Richard.

When I first saw them, I only had the 24-70 on, which wasn't nearly long enough. I went to change to the 70-200 and, with great good luck, there was obviously something made them stop. It was as if they waited for me, because as soon I was ready they took off again.

Real Name
    John

Many would have passed by Donald. This is well seen and captured. For me, the comp. works because of the symmetry and weight provided by the figures to the base of the image against that beautiful sky. Nice work and nice to see you still on form.

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the image Donald, glad to see that you are back to shooting

It's heartening to see you have returned to photography and with your usual quality of imagery. Very envious of the 5DIV!