Thread: Daybreak.

Real Name
    John

Daybreak.

I don't often rise early but I made the effort for this one. One of the small bays on the Isle of Anglesey. C&C very welcome.

P.S. TinyPic worked first time. Has the corner been turned??

Fuji X plus 35mm f1.4
    Daybreak.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Daybreak.

I do miss living on the coast. Nice shot

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    I don't often rise early but I made the effort for this one.
    Beware John it becomes addictive

One of the small bays on the Isle of Anglesey. C&C very welcome.
    Perhaps a crop from either the top or bottom and a lift of the shadows will help?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very nice color and detail. Consider cropping at the bottom to eliminate about half of the shore.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Paul David

John, very nice. The early bird does get the worm.

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for the comments. I always have good intentions but in the end the "just a few more minutes" syndrome kicks in.

Garahame and Mike, on this occasion I'm not so sure about a crop. I like the space in the current comp but I also wanted to position the horizon and the main point of interest (the boat) off the centre line. I think a crop top or bottom, would put one or the other on the centre line which I tried to avoid.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the way it is...no crop. I like the colour and the mood of the image too. Unfortunately in real time, this kind of scene last only even before your coffee cools off. I missed living in Melbourne looking at scenes like this when I wake up in the morning...

I can see the ideas behind doing a crop, but what are the options. You wouldn't want to lose anything from the sky, nor the right side and reducing the left side moves the sun too close to the edge.

Possibly cropping a bit from the rather dark foreground and going to a more panoramic size ratio would give more impact to the middle distance and far sky. But you also lose a bit of the reddish reflection in the foreground. The foreground area has a lot more detail when viewed with the Lightbox view.

Maybe try a crop along those lines then make a decision when the two options can be seen side by side?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I also wanted to position the horizon and the main point of interest (the boat) off the centre line. I think a crop top or bottom, would put one or the other on the centre line which I tried to avoid.
    I like that you know exactly why you made the choices you made, though I'm not the least bit surprised about that. Interestingly, one reason I like the idea of cropping at the bottom is because of the strength of positioning either the boat or the horizon on the center line.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi John The reflections in the FG are very nice but I think I agree with Mike about cropping from the bottom . Or as an alternative you can crop from the top a bit and leave the FG as is. The FG and the sky have similar portions in your original and IMO the composition is a bit boring this way.

Real Name
    Dave

Lovely shot, John , that would be a wall hanger for me.

I hope you are holidaying there - it would have been an early start from home to greet the sun!

Dave

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for the continued comment. I think the truth is that there are several ways of cropping the shot, all of which will work. I did try most of them before arriving at this composition but having lifted the shadows, ended up preferring it as is.

"Boring" Binnur? Conventional- yes, classical (1/3, 1/3, 1/3), - maybe, but boring? Oh I am mortally wounded.

Dave, that would be a step too far. No we were in a cottage that overlooked this cove and I only had to step outside the front door.

Real Name
    roy

John Leave it as it is
    Roy

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very nice image

Real Name
    John

Thank you Roy, than you Nandakumar.

Real Name
    Binnur

Oh, please excuse my English John You are right that 'conventional' is a more appropriate word. I was just trying to say that cropping from the bottom or from the top might make the composition more energetic .

Thanks all for the continued comment. I think the truth is that there are several ways of cropping the shot, all of which will work. I did try most of them before arriving at this composition but having lifted the shadows, ended up preferring it as is.

"Boring" Binnur? Conventional- yes, classical (1/3, 1/3, 1/3), - maybe, but boring? Oh I am mortally wounded.

Dave, that would be a step too far. No we were in a cottage that overlooked this cove and I only had to step outside the front door.

Real Name
    John

Binnur, it wasn't a serious comment. I was being ironic - or trying to be. Anyway, given the heat you are currently suffering, you are forgiven.

Real Name
    Bruce

John, I like the image the way it is, perhaps because the foreshore, with the tide out, helps convey a sense of the coastal location.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Bruce. That's probably why I settled on this version because I was influenced by what I saw by being there.