Thread: Solar Eclipse August 21

Real Name
    Joe

Solar Eclipse August 21

In Ontario we will only see a partial eclipse. (So jealous of those who will experience a total eclipse&#128547. Any tips on the best way to capture this partial eclipse shot?

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21

We will only see a partial eclipse here in SoCal also. My neighbor is quite into exploring the skies and wants me to join him for the eclipse. Since I only have to walk across the street to do it, I just might... Stressing "might"
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 3rd August 2017 at 11:25 PM.

Real Name
    Paul David

We'll have about 95% here in Sheridan.

Real Name
    Tom

I have never shot an eclipse, and I'm in the 2/3 to 3/4 region, too. But I'm planning on giving it a try from here. I got this cheap solar filter from B&H to give it a try. It comes in different sizes for different lens diameters. The design is perfect for those in the 100% zone, as the filter just lifts off for 100%, when you don't want a filter at all. Of course, we will leave the filter on all the time. My understanding is that you want your long lens for this. Practice with the filter before the eclipse to determine the exposure settings you'll want. There is a nice web site with tips here I presume that he knows what he's talking about, but it is from the internet... FWIW

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am well prepared for the two hour window as we are also at the path of the eclipse here. I bought a Baader paper recently and will be joining our camera store on a proper location to view the eclipse. Thanks for the link, Tom. I will read it later in the morning light.

Real Name
    Freddy

I am in great spot for the eclipse. I am so looking forward to it. Hope I am prepared for it. I was thinking of even renting spots on my property for it, I have 5 acres in the path of totality.

Real Name
    Richard

Lunar eclipse

There will also be a partial Lunar Eclipse tonight visible in some parts of the world...
    https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/2017

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    I have never shot an eclipse, and I'm in the 2/3 to 3/4 region, too. But I'm planning on giving it a try from here. I got this cheap solar filter from B&H to give it a try. It comes in different sizes for different lens diameters. The design is perfect for those in the 100% zone, as the filter just lifts off for 100%, when you don't want a filter at all. Of course, we will leave the filter on all the time. My understanding is that you want your long lens for this. Practice with the filter before the eclipse to determine the exposure settings you'll want. There is a nice web site with tips here I presume that he knows what he's talking about, but it is from the internet... FWIW
    Excellent link. Very helpful. Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Richard

I wonder how a dedicated infra-red camera would work along with a couple of ND filters. I have an old Canon modified for full-time IR.

Along that line, how would a couple of ND filters work in conjunction with a UV filter, for a standard camera???

I am not that interested in shooting the eclipse to purchase a specialty filter but, I don't want to damage either my camera or my eyes. I could try my oldie 30D camera...

Real Name
    Freddy

I have never shot an eclipse either. I am going to try an old camera with a Singh-Ray variable filter, with an added ND 4. That will give me 12 adjustable back to 6-2/3. I haven't talked with anyone lucky enough to shoot an eclipse; only opinions of a few that does shoot the sun. I am told you need to change filters as it progresses into the total eclipse. That will make the adjustable very useful for this.

Real Name
    Richard

I also have an adjustable ND filter as well as a few square filers...