Thread: Glacier and Harbor Seals

Real Name
    Dan

Glacier and Harbor Seals

This past week I took a couple of friends out on Prince William Sound. We visited a glacier where I knew the harbor seals hang out on the ice. I hadn't been there since 2014. The currents were opening channels in the ice field more than during previous visits so we were able to safely approach the glacier much closer than I've done before. Photographically it was a very humbling experience.

I had no idea what to do with the glacier to even remotely give it a sense of scale/grandeur. I suppose taking the kayak and shooting from one end or the other might have been ideal but as the boat operator I didn't have that option. That's my excuse anyway...

Nikon D810/24-120mm f4

1) Overall view shot from a distance at 24mm, stitched from two frames. Overcast skies really enhance the blues when viewed in person so I did not "correct" for neutral WB. My intent is to re-create what I saw at the time as accurately as I remember.

Glacier and Harbor Seals

2) A closer view. Note all of the seals hauled out on ice at bottom of frame. There must have been at least two hundred of them.

Glacier and Harbor Seals

As with attempting landscape on the glacier, I was at a loss as to how to go about capturing the sense of so many seals in one place. Plus my options were limited by the practical constraints of shooting from the boat. All I could really do was resort to what I know with a long lens while capturing the context of location.

All following shot with the D500/200-500mm f5.6

3)

Glacier and Harbor Seals

4)

Glacier and Harbor Seals

5)

Glacier and Harbor Seals

6)

Glacier and Harbor Seals

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Glacier and Harbor Seals

I like the last one, Dan -- the seal is smiling at you. Colours are always beautiful in Alaska. Bill told me it is because of the continuous sunlight during summer. #1 is great.

Real Name
    John

A very nice series Dan but the last two are my pick. I know you can train seals but getting them to pose symmetrically as in the 5th image is a bit over the top. The last one is just special.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    ..................................... Photographically it was a very humbling experience.

I had no idea what to do with the glacier to even remotely give it a sense of scale/grandeur. ...............
    I know the feeling. We visited a number glaciers on a cruise up to the North Cape and I was always hoping for us to arrive in the company of another cruise liner. Including another ship dwarfed by the spectacle would have given the sense of perspective you describe.

Real Name
    Brian

I rarely use the following word. Perhaps twice a year. All of the shots are stunning but #1 is Awesome.

Real Name
    John

A fine set. It is definitely #1 and #6 for me.

John

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I must thank you for introducing a variety of wild life collections , which, i think i would never get chance to venture into....

Real Name
    Jim

As always, enjoyed viewing Dan.

Real Name
    Dan

Glad you folks enjoyed the photos. Clouds(i.e. water) filter out red/infrared light and let blue/ultraviolet pass through. So glacier ice appears much more blue when viewed under overcast skies.

Real Name
    John

Nice ones.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice set as always Dan, thanks for sharing