Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Memory cards

An interesting read dealing with memory cards:

http://www.diyphotography.net/not-de...-using-camera/

Real Name
    Sandy

Re: Memory cards

All good info and much of it is simply common sense! Where he got me was the card reader. It is a brand name but it didn't cost very much. I should probably update this piece of equipment soon. Thanks for the article link, Manfred!

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting article, Manfred. I always cull images in the field. It never occurred to me that it could cause problems. Live and learn.

Real Name
    Richard

I also cull my images while shooting, I "might" quit doing that. OTOH I might not

I use Lexar cards but, don't think they are any better or any worse than SanDisk units. I just got some good buys on Lexar cards. I use an up-to-date Lexar USB 3.9 card reader and transfer my images from the CF card to my computer (including backup hard drives and some cloud storage). The reader accepts CF cards which is what I shoot most of the time but will also accept SD cards which is nice because my 7D2 has dual card capability. My wife's P&S also uses SD cards and it is nice to have one reader which can read both cards.

The Cards I use are all UDMA capable and the Lexar reader is also UDMA capable as well as having a USB-3 connection to the computer. I can download my CF cards using the reader significantly faster than I can if I try to download my images using the built-in card reader of my Dell XPS desktop computer.

BTW: I can also use my Chromebook to download from the card reader and transfer the images to an external hard drive. Nice for traveling, although a bit slower than downloading to my desktop computer which has an SSD.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 16th August 2017 at 04:18 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ... it is nice to have one reader which can read both cards...
    For two Nikon cameras I need three different card readers

Real Name
    John

I will delete images from my camera as a group by selecting the calendar day, I don't format as Rescue disk will not be able to recover all of the images if the card was formatted. I've used Rescue Disk on several occasions when the card had been formatted and I lost a lot of images as most were over written. I haven't had to do a recovery since I started deleting only but read that it was better at full recovery than formatting.

Real Name
    George

I violated all of his rule except 6 and 2. It also depends if you use SD or Compact Flash.

George

Real Name
    George

From the link
    You must keep your cards in covers.

I hate to tell you this folks, but I have my cards loose in my bags all the time. I do not use the little jewel cases that come with the cards. I do use the ThinkTank Pixel PocketRockets, but also have countless cards thrown in my bags. This has never been an issue.
    About the worst advise. I wouldn't do that with CF cards

George

Real Name
    Ted

Does anyone have a comment about NOT using a card reader?

One of my cameras had a less than reliable card door switch, prompting me to use the USB cable for image transfer, rather than the Kingston reader. (when that camera thinks it's card door is open, you can't shoot).

Does anyone have a comment about using in-computer card slots rather than card readers?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post

Does anyone have a comment about using in-computer card slots rather than card readers?
    This is the method I typically use, I used to just remove the card after uploading but I've lately taken to using the "safely remove hardware and reject media" tool as I've had a few glitches when just simply removing; mainly error popups when I reinsert the card stating card isn't formatted.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

I don't use a card reader - I use Canon's EOS utilities with the USB connection to the camera, which works quite well. Also, I almost never reformat the card and have never had any problem with that. However, I always download all images and then delete all from the camera with the card in the camera The only problem I have had was due to a faulty USB connection on the computer. I have a spare card but don't use it but I suppose I would if I was doing more travelling.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

One of my cameras had a less than reliable card door switch, prompting me to use the USB cable for image transfer, rather than the Kingston reader. (when that camera thinks it's card door is open, you can't shoot).

I never use a card reader, only delete an image if it has just been taken and have never had a problem card.

P.S. I just remembered my multi-function printer/scanner has a card reader and I have used it once to read a card. It transfers via wifi and was very slow.

Real Name
    Ted

Forgot to mention that another of my cameras has a USB 1.1 port which is unreadable by modern computers so, for that one, I am forced to use a card reader - no choice there at all.

Real Name
    Dan

I've read #1 elsewhere, but I don't understand it. I can see why one might not want to delete individual images if one is not reformatting the card after each download, but if one does, I can't see why it would matter. The article says that the camera

is not very smart at managing the data on your memory card. Deleting individual images from the card using your camera is a great way to scramble the FAT Table.
    But when you reformat in camera, the camera rewrites the FAT table. So it seems to me that the only risk is that the data would be scrambled during that one use, before it is reformatted. And I have never experienced any problems of this sort. Am I missing something?

I started looking for a good technical source on this, but I haven't found one yet.
    Last edited by DanK; 16th August 2017 at 12:42 PM.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I've read #1 elsewhere, but I don't understand it. I can see why one might not want to delete individual images if one is not reformatting the card after each download, but if one does, I can't see why it would matter. The article says that the camera

But when you reformat in camera, the camera rewrites the FAT table. So it seems to me that the only risk is that the data would be scrambled during that one use, before it is reformatted. And I have never experienced any problems of this sort. Am I missing something?

I started looking for a good technical source on this, but I haven't found one yet.
    In the old dos days the first letter of the filename was changed when deleting, I forgot into what. Formatting is something as deleting all the files. The files are still there but with a code. Then there's save formatting. In that case the info on the disk is overwritten by all 0's. Maybe we should call it reformatting, the real formatting is done only when the disk is prepared for first use. Things might have changed but not that much I believe.

George

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Only the sixth advice makes sense, and I guess people already know about it anyway.

Real Name
    Richard

The idea of just "tossing" CF cards into a camera bag is ludicrous. Not so much because the cards may be physically damaged but because they could easily be lost. I use a small fifteen year old OPTECH filter wallet which allows me to store and keep track of the cards.

When I go on a small shoot, I always like to have an extra CF Card and battery with me so I place the CF Card in the watch or change pocket of my jeans and carry the battery on my belt using the case for a no longer used Flip Phone.

I just need to remember to take the card out of the pocket prior to washing the jeans

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I have not either Dan, nor am I 100% convinced that he is right as I have never heard of this being an issue.

If a file is marked as deleted in the FAT table, that's all there is to it, the file is still there, but not protected from being overwritten. Reading and writing files is "old technology", but memory management for solid-state drives is less clear cut as there is a need to spread the data out so that different memory addresses are more or less written to equally. Unfortunately, NAND memory does have a limited number of write cycles, so this is a common practice in solid state drive controllers. With cameras, there is no way of knowing exactly how they operate.

If one is a cautious photographer, then I would tend to do this. I usually do not delete in the field, even when I have totally blown a shot, but then I usually have lots of spare memory with me, so this is not really an issue.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticitizen View Post
    Only the sixth advice makes sense, and I guess people already know about it anyway.
    I would have to disagree with you as I have had issues #4 - cheap card reader destroying data on my card. I now only use a Lexar reader. As an aside; I have seen a number of laptop SD card readers fail and not release the cards without doing physical damage to both the reader and the cards. I try to avoid using the built in readers as much as possible.

I have had "no name" cards fail in the field, so I also agree with #8. I now only use Lexar and San Disk cards. As Lexar is exiting the business, I am not going to buy their cards until we see what happens when a new owner (if there is one) takes over. The only time I have had a failure with a high end card is when I used it with a cheap reader (i.e. #4). I was able to recover most of the files, but the cheap (and cute) reader my daughter gave me went into the trash right away. No permanent damage to the card, so far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 16th August 2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added laptop SD card reader issue

Real Name
    Dan

...it seems to me that the only risk is that the data would be scrambled during that one use, before it is reformatted. And I have never experienced any problems of this sort. Am I missing something? ...
    The way that I read it, that is the point. The FAT table could be corrupted for that one use making it difficult to download your photos. Once formatted the card will be functional again. But I suppose worst case is that one would need to use recovery software to pull the images off the card.

Though theoretically possible, the chance of corrupting the card by deleting in camera must be rather small. I've done it ever since I've been shooting digital and have never encountered a problem. So at the end of the day it is a risk management decision. If card capacity becomes an issue during a shoot what's worse, running out of card space and calling it a day or accepting the risk of deleting in camera and continuing the shoot? A decision each person must make based on their own tolerance for risk and as fits a given situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast