Thread: Nowhere near Punakaiki

Real Name
    Peter

Nowhere near Punakaiki

This image was made earlier this year at the side of Ocean Beach Road in Gore. It has taken me sometime to discover the details of the wooden hulk, during my searches on the internet I kept seeing monochrome images of vessels like this one. So I decided to reprocess this one from my original colour version to hopefully give the image a more historic feel, having said that the power transmission lines to the smelter plant give it a less than historic feel IYSWIM.

For anyone interested the vessel was the "S.S.Toiler*". It took me quite a few hours trawling the web to find anything at all about it. I could see it on various old maps but they were just to small to make out any detail.

Here's a LINK to some information about its life, scroll down the page to Sunday November 2013. I found it strange to find the information about the wreck on a UK web site.

* For some reason Google kept insisting that I should be looking for S.S. Toilet !

As always your thoughts/comments are welcome.

Nowhere near Punakaiki

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Nowhere near Punakaiki

Very nice; i feel the breeze

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Very nice; i feel the breeze
    Thanks for taking time to look and comment Nandakumar

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I would have thought that to feel the 'old-ish' kind of look, you could have done a mono sepia instead. Just a thought...anyway, I would like to read the story in the link later. It sounds like an interesting adventure. Aaaahhhhh...Google. Most of their word suggestions are more off than not if you do not check. I am slowly learning that I will have to look more closely havin been caught more than once in Facebook or even in the Whatspp with my children...