Thread: Wine: Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Wine: Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

When making the comical photo of the very same wine being opened by a pipe wrench, I was really surprised to realize that I had never made a photo of it in a serious style. Considering that it has been one of my go-to wines for years and is almost always in the house, I had clearly overlooked it.

Like all Sauvignon Blancs, the citrus flavors, especially lemon and lime, are noticeable even to people like me who rarely notice specific flavors in wine. Some wines made from this grape species are light and elegant, such as the typical style made in France. This one, which is made in the famous wine region of Marlborough, New Zealand, is exactly the opposite: very bold and in your face. I think information about the taste and style of a wine indicated on the rear label is generally unhelpful, but this wine's information on it (I removed that label to make the photo) aptly describes the wine as "exuberant."

Setup
    The background is translucent vellum and the tabletop is shiny, silver presentation board. First capture: A medium continuous-light lamp behind the background shining toward the subject and camera defines the outline of the wine, wine glass and bottle in dark tones. Second capture: A small continuous-light lamp above the bottle's body lights the labels and the cap. A white reflector on the left side brightens the underside of the cap. The labels, cap and the cap's reflection in the second capture were merged with everything else in the first capture.

Wine: Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 31st August 2017 at 07:01 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Wine: Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

Well composed; fantastic lighting effect!!!

Real Name
    John

Nicely composed.

Nice shots and appreciate your support of NZ wines!

Real Name
    Binnur

Nice colors, the bottle really stands out Mike. And those bubbles really add to the image

Thank you, Binnur, and especially for noticing the bubbles. When I saw the bubble in the wine bottle, I hoped it wouldn't disappear before I captured the image. That made me realize that the wine in the glass also needed some bubbles, so I vigorously stirred the wine to create them. It's rare that I photograph wine in a bottle that has only a portion of the wine in it, but I now know to stir it up with the hope of creating a bubble or two.

Real Name
    Dan

Nice composition and beautiful lighting, Mike. I agree with Binnur that the bubbles add a lot to the image. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Dave

Light and composition near perfect as always. Great feel to this image.

Dave

Thank you also to Dave and Dan!

Real Name
    Susan

I think you should send Kim Crawford your image so they can use it in their next ad campaign. It pops in an exuberant way !

Thanks, Susan!

I am a boring, nothing but chardonnay man, Mike, however my wife does alternate a red with sauvignon blanc. A while back I did drink some Kim Crawford chardonnay, but now prefer Wither Hills chardonnay, also from Marlborough.

............. but, ah yes, the image. For some reason I particularly like the screw cap, perfect position and so sharp. Often our judges at the club say words in an image are so distracting, however to my mind they are an integral part of this particular pic. I also really like the bubbles in the glass. You continue to be an inspiration! Never desert us!

Thanks, Jim!

Not a thing wrong with drinking nothing but Chardonnay.