Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tree, an hour in time

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: A tree, an hour in time

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    You could have known. You see that twilight every day at sundown.
    Twilight is categorised as civil, nautical and astronomical, but, from my own experience determining exact astronomical twilight by 'seeing' (viewing) would not be possible. There are easy ways to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Another question. Footloose mentioned the movements in the stars. I don't recognize it as that. But what are the minimal settings for a sharp image, without star trails? You used 8s and 28mm.
    The 500 rule is generally recommended, but, as with all these rules they come with the advice that you determine what you are happy with.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    If this is what you produce when being disappointed, I can't wait to see what comes out of your camera when you're elated. This is a very revealing, interesting set of images.
    Mike, when I can capture the stars, the tree reasonably illuminated and the tide incoming under the tree that's when I'll be elated

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Looks like a nice way to spend a morning, Grahame. Nice composition in the first shot. The lighting doesn't look natural.
    Dan, the lighting of the tree is not all natural in No 1. I used an LED torch that is like a strip-light covered on one side and this gives a wide weak beam and I light painted with it, how much additional light this gave is difficult to determine. It would have been ideal to be there much earlier so that I could have experimented with lighting the tree.

For info, here's my first shot taken on arrival 1 hr 3 mins before sunrise, 15 mins before No 1. Only ambient light and ppd, not a keeper.

A tree, an hour in time

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I like the second shot best for the colors and the tree produces interesting shapes that make the eye linger. The third one is the best shot of the tree itself. Overall an interesting set. Nicely done.
    For No 3 I had been hoping that the tide would have reached the tree earlier so that the light would have allowed a long exposure on the water and I had not bought my NDs along

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    You might like to use an ap on the tablet that has augmented reality or AR for short. You can then take your tablet, stand on the beach, dial in the time and date and see exactly how the MW and everything else will look at that precise time and place. Skyview and PhotoPills are just a couple. PhotoPills does have a lot of how to videos online that are very helpful and they are just fun people. Some folks from my old photo club met up with them for the eclipse on their U.S. "tour" this summer.
    The way I tend to work Susan is to preplan so I know what to expect when I arrive at a location and these are generally not far away. Working on beaches with water around I try to keep gear and gadgets to a minimum.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Very dramatic
    Thank you Nandakumar

Real Name
    Binnur

I don't know how I missed those images Grahame They all seem great to me. That yellow thing in #1 needs cloning but the rest is just beautiful

Real Name
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    The way I tend to work Susan is to preplan so I know what to expect when I arrive at a location and these are generally not far away. Working on beaches with water around I try to keep gear and gadgets to a minimum.
    Grahame the really wonderful thing about these aps is that you take them on your preplanning trip. They are not needed at the time of shoot. For ex. you go to beach at midday, dial in the time and date of your shoot and then display it in AR. The MW, the galactic core etc. are shown for the chosen time and date. It's quite helpful, amazing and very straight forward once you know how to navigate the ap. It's really pretty cool and the learning curve isn't much.

I strongly prefer No 2 Grahame, and for once am not going into any analysis. Whatever connections there are between my eye, brain and heart tell me.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    I don't know how I missed those images Grahame They all seem great to me. That yellow thing in #1 needs cloning but the rest is just beautiful
    Hi Binnur, and thank you.

The yellow thing is a leaf floating, not sure why I did not remove it but it's easily done

Real Name
    Grahame

Grahame the really wonderful thing about these aps is that you take them on your preplanning trip. They are not needed at the time of shoot. For ex. you go to beach at midday, dial in the time and date of your shoot and then display it in AR. The MW, the galactic core etc. are shown for the chosen time and date. It's quite helpful, amazing and very straight forward once you know how to navigate the ap. It's really pretty cool and the learning curve isn't much.
    But Susan, I can go to the beach at midday, spot a good subject and think that will be good to shoot at some time, take a bearing from my keyring compass if needed (but if I'm looking at the sea it's generally to the south), then when home look at it in conjunction with Google Earth, Photographers Ephemeris and Stellarium and where applicable tide tables on the desktop.

I have resisted for many years of becoming someone that spends time looking at and fiddling with some tiny screen

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    I strongly prefer No 2 Grahame, and for once am not going into any analysis. Whatever connections there are between my eye, brain and heart tell me.
    I also like No 2 Jim and have a few versions of it. What I'm also contemplating is if I can get in closer which would then have the branches exiting the frame on the bottom and left and right sides using moonlight.

Real Name
    Joyce Morgan

What else can I say, you have captured beautiful photos in here. Mother nature is indeed beautiful.

Real Name
    Ole

I love them all. One could conceivably spend an hour or two cloning tiny bits of matter in all three but nah! is good.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Susan

But Susan, I can go to the beach at midday, spot a good subject and think that will be good to shoot at some time, take a bearing from my keyring compass if needed (but if I'm looking at the sea it's generally to the south), then when home look at it in conjunction with Google Earth, Photographers Ephemeris and Stellarium and where applicable tide tables on the desktop.

I have resisted for many years of becoming someone that spends time looking at and fiddling with some tiny screen
    ...so much else to see eh? I should know that you have all the tools you need :-)

Real Name
    Brian

Dan, the lighting of the tree is not all natural in No 1. I used an LED torch that is like a strip-light covered on one side and this gives a wide weak beam and I light painted with it, how much additional light this gave is difficult to determine. It would have been ideal to be there much earlier so that I could have experimented with lighting the tree.

For info, here's my first shot taken on arrival 1 hr 3 mins before sunrise, 15 mins before No 1. Only ambient light and ppd, not a keeper.

A tree, an hour in time

For No 3 I had been hoping that the tide would have reached the tree earlier so that the light would have allowed a long exposure on the water and I had not bought my NDs along
    Grahame, to each their own but I dl'd this shot and played with it for a bit. It may not be a keeper but it sure is a shot I'd try for again if I could.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by dearjoyce View Post
    What else can I say, you have captured beautiful photos in here. Mother nature is indeed beautiful.
    Thank you Joyce,

Real Name
    Grahame

...so much else to see eh?
    Not really Susan, but I find it difficult to hold a beer in one hand and operate a small device with just the other

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Grahame, to each their own but I dl'd this shot and played with it for a bit. It may not be a keeper but it sure is a shot I'd try for again if I could.
    I agree Brian. With this one I don't think I had even focused the camera on the stars was just taking shots to see if I had the framing correct. It was impossible to determine whilst looking through the viewfinder due to it being so dark and that glow to the left was not noticeable with the naked eye.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12