Thread: Quick Sight

Real Name
    Richard

Quick Sight

I use one of this old Topcon Sportsfinder to get an initial fix on a subject when I am shooting with a long lens (especially against a background like the sky or the sea).

Quick Sight

I am wondering if a Red Dot sight like this might even be better for that purpose...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photograp...ortsfinder.jpg

I have a similar one that came with a BB pistol. I don't like shooting with it and I will try to modify it so that it will fit on a hotshoe. It was more important to use something to spot my subject when I was shooting with a 400mm f/5.6L prime lens. With my present 100-400mm Mk.ii zoom, I can quickly pick up my subject by zooming back to a shorter focal length and then zoom out to my shooting length. However, the sportsfinder still helps...

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Quick Sight

I tried the red dot and didn't find it useful. At least not for shooting BIF. If you're shooting static/slow moving subjects it might work OK. But then if the subject isn't moving there's not much need for the sighting aid to start with. My ultimate solution was to simply alter my technique. I keep both eyes open with the right eye to the viewfinder and the left eye looking over the top of the camera. When I see the target in both eyes I then close the left and just track the subject in the viewfinder. It's simple and it works well without any additional clap trap.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Quick Sight

That looks like a smaller version of the "sports finder" on the Speed Graflex cameras.

As an old press photographer I know who still owns a couple of these told me; "it was the best 1950's technology money could buy". He then added; "but it's not the 1950s any more and technology has improved a lot".