Thread: Honoring war veterans

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Honoring war veterans

I've seen these metal emblems that hold small flags and commemorate the service of veterans of war, but I've never seen so many wars being identified in one such simple display. Ten wars are identified ranging from 1776 to 1991: Persian Gulf, Vietnam, Korea, World War (not called World War I at the time because of the hope that it would be the war to end all wars), World War II, Spanish War in Cuba, America's Civil War (two emblems for that one), Mexico, War of 1812 and America's Revolutionary War. There is also an emblem for military veterans who served in no war.

This old cemetery is very small and in the middle of a state park with no signage at least that I can remember pointing toward it, so I'm sure it is rarely visited.

Honoring war veterans
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 5th September 2017 at 07:53 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Honoring war veterans

Very emotional to me. Actually gave me the chills...

Members of my family and my wife's family served in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, the Civil War (both sides), World Wars One and Two, and I served in the Vietnam Conflict....

I have a wonderful copies of two War of 1812 travel claims submitted by two of my ancestors in January, 1815, for travel back from New Orleans to their homes in Mississippi. They had fought with Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans

Several family members fought in the Texas Revolution against Mexico and one died in 1836 at the Battle of Goliad. However, he died in battle and was not one of the hundreds of Texan prisoners of war murdered by the Mexican Army at the orders of General Santa Ana

Another family member brought home a Mexican lady named Maria who was probably one the first "War Brides", he met and married Maria while serving with Jefferson Davis and his Mississippi Rifles during the Mexican War in 1847...

Additionally, my wife's direct ancestor, Abner Hosmer. a Massachusetts Minute Man, was killed by the initial volley of British musket fire at Concord Bridge on the 18th of April 1775 making him one of the first casualties of our Revolutionary War...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 5th September 2017 at 08:53 PM.

Real Name
    Zen

Re: Honoring war veterans

Thank you, Richard, for your and your family's service.

I have a similar history, although not as far back as yours. My GGGrandfather was killed in the Civil War, and his widow was given 2 parcels of land in Pennsylvania to compensate for his service and death. My GUncle served in WW1, my father and uncle in WW2, my father in Korea. My uncle was awarded the Silver Star for his heroism crossing the Rhine in '45, and I have the flag that draped his casket here at my home. He was a shy and unassuming guy who was embarrassed by his notoriety in the tiny Pennsylvania "corners" that was his home, and never wore the decoration. But I pinned the ribbon on his chest as he lay in his casket, and he wears it now in perpetuity. I am an Army Brat and proud of it, and am thrilled when Old Glory flies.

Thank you again for your service and for sharing your and your family's history with us.

Zen
    Last edited by zen; 6th September 2017 at 06:25 PM.