Thread: How I spent my summer vacation

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

How I spent my summer vacation

When I was a youth, at the start of each school year we had to do an essay on what we during the summer. I think it was intended as a a writing exercise rather as we never shared them; unless you came head of the class in which case it was posted in the corridor for all to see (back in the days when teachers did not care about our fragile little egos and had no qualms about ranking and social status)

We bought a place in the south of British Columbia, in the desert orchard and wine area. A new environment for me; so was a bit of an adventure shooting in the new area.

I could not resist the old corral, had to stick close to my old barns and farm buildings love. The orchards are new , but still familiar given the rows of crops and plowed fields on the prairies.

Re: How I spent my summer vacation

Obviously a rather strong light but these images still work well with plenty of perspective in the scenes.

Real Name
    Dan

Nice set, Trevor. I really like the one of the vines. It's never occurred to me to shoot that perspective. Well done.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Obviously a rather strong light but these images still work well with plenty of perspective in the scenes.
    Tried with a wider aperture, the background was never out of focus enough to be anything but irritating. Decided to go for the full environment to give a sense of place.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Nice set, Trevor. I really like the one of the vines. It's never occurred to me to shoot that perspective. Well done.
    The biggest problem was my shadow intruding into the scene. (And maybe passersby wondering about the bearded guy crouching on the roadside). The first was solved with some cloning; the police never showed up so maybe the second was only a problem for me. I am so used to being completely alone while shooting, bit different having cars, tractors and cyclists driving by.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Corral and the Vines are excellent.

The corral is an excellent composition. The corral doesn't dominate the scene, bit it;'s clear that it's the subject, but na subject set within its environment. That's what I like.

The way in which the vines are treselled lends itself to this shot which shows the bunches of grapes set up like soldiers in a line. Seeing that was the skill of the photographer

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Wonderful images Trevor. Your focus on more southerly areas of the BC interior are just as interesting and well done as the work you have done in the north. Great shots in challenging light conditions.

Real Name
    Susan

Well seen and shot. Looks like it will be a fruitfull landscape for you ;-)

Real Name
    John

Nice shots.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The way in which the vines are treselled lends itself to this shot which shows the bunches of grapes set up like soldiers in a line. Seeing that was the skill of the photographer
    When I came up to shoot the vineyard I was wondering where the bloody grapes were. Was not until I got really close and crouched down could I see them, so it seemed the natural angle to shoot from. I am glad it worked out.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Great shots in challenging light conditions.
    I am going to miss, when we move, the low angle morning light of the prairie. The vines, orchard and corral were up on a higher bench so I could get the low light, although the vines and trees were lit about a hour after true sunrise. On the valley floor it is another half hour and by then the light is very harsh. Time will tell how I deal with this.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 8th September 2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote box

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    Looks like it will be a fruitfull landscape for you ;-)
    Should be peachy. I will see if it becomes the apple of my eye and not sour grapes. Should work out if I cherry pick the conditions.

Real Name
    Zen

I love the old corral and loading chute shot. This is a favorite subject of mine whenever I travel to our American West.

Thanks for sharing, Trevor.

Zen

Real Name
    Brian

I suppose next is somewhere on the coast? Kimsquit could be fun

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the corral shot very much...but where are the cattles? When are you going to move? Does it snow over there too?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I like the corral shot very much...but where are the cattles? When are you going to move? Does it snow over there too?
    I suspect cattle were last grazed here in the 1960's when the aeroport was put in. Might have been a bit of a conflict with cows and planes.

We will move when the business sells; or we lose our marbles. The plan is within two years, but that has been the plan for five years.

As for snow; this is Canada. Just not snow from October to May. In southern BC, maybe mid December to mid February most years and even then the temperature is minus 4C not minus 20 C. So quite good by Canadian standards.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

And hubby is still dreaming of his 40 acres so he can have his own airstrip....haha...too much work for me.