Thread: Photographic lost cause - Ventas Rumba

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Photographic lost cause - Ventas Rumba

Mother nature has beaten me...

I have had two attempts at photographing Europe's widest waterfalls; Ventas Rumbla and amazing 249 m / 817 ft wide falls. Unfortunately, it is far less magnificent than it sounds, as the falls reach a maximum height of around 1.8 - 2.2 m / 6 - 7 ft; although some parts at the edges are lower than that.

If the weather holds out I might have one more chance of trying to shoot them again in the morning, just before we head out of town. This 8-shot pano is probably the best shot I managed to pull off (105mm focal length was used). I'm definitely open to suggestions....

This is what I got this morning. Another shot that really does not do justice to the scene...

Last edited by Manfred M; 13th September 2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added 2nd image

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Photographic lost cause - Ventas Rumba

That looks like a tough scene, Manfred. Considering the height of the falls I'm not sure there's much you can do to make it look majestic. The characteristic that makes it famous is the length and IMO the first shot captures that pretty well.

Real Name
    John

Nice efforts, short of drone photography or a radio controlled boat can't think of anything else.

A nice background sky with the second image so maybe crop that one into a panoramic scene and lose a bit from the bottom ?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent images, Manfred

Real Name
    Brian

Mother Nature did not beat you. Your preconception of a waterfall did. This fall will never look like Niagara Falls nor need it. Your first shot has real potential with the right pp it could be very beautiful. But it won't ever be Niagara.