Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Anne

Real Name
    Bill

Anne

Haven't done any portraits for a bit, but got the chance to rectify that in the last couple of days. I think that the first one is almost there but not quite. Correctly positioned, the hat would add interest - back tomorrow to try and fix that... I may try changing the DoF too, but the original idea was to have it a bit OoF to keep the emphasis on Anne

Anne

This is another "almost there". May try another without the apron if the weather holds, as the whole idea was the contrast between the attractive subject and the grungy wall

Anne

However, I like this one ...

Anne

C&C appreciated.

Re: Anne

Personally, I don't think you need the hat in #1. There is sufficient subtle background interest in the wall panels; so I would just crop to remove the hat.

The second scene works OK for me as it is now.

The last one is also OK but could you get away with a little bit more brightness carefully applied?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

+1 to Geoff's comments. They line up nicely with my view as well. You did very well with the glasses and have minimal reflection issues.

#1 - the hat distracts rather than complements. If it were my shot, it wouldn't be in the shot.

#2 - I'd be tempted to crop the bottom and leave this as a 3/4 shot. Without the yellow bottoms, shoes and grass, you have a simpler and more effective shot. My only issue is the pose that is just a touch awkward, especially with the crossed arms and hidden hand.

#3 - this is definitely the best of the group. I'd go in and dodge the eyes (the whole area behind the glasses) just a bit to brighten them up.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    . . . I think that the first one is almost there but not quite. Correctly positioned, the hat would add interest - back tomorrow to try and fix that... I may try changing the DoF too, but the original idea was to have it a bit OoF to keep the emphasis on Anne

C&C appreciated.
    Whatever you chose to do with the hat and the DoF - also consider the Framing (or Cropping) on the Subject:

> At the base of the image the "V" of the blouse is just clipped - usually better to choose it or loose it.
    > Across the base of the Image the Subject occupies half; whilst that provides a negative space into which she can gaze, arguably that is too much space. Consider 1/3 Negative Space and 2/3 Head and Shoulders, linear positioning across the base.

Similarly (addressing Framing/Cropping) in Image #3: the line of the Pinafore is cut before it reaches the LH Shoulder of the Subject - thus the Viewer's Eye following the BLUE MASS wanders off to Camera Right - whereas all the other strong lines, beginning at the base of the image, run upwards to the face and the eyes:

Image #3 would be stronger Portrait Photograph, if the whole of, or at least part of the Left Shoulder Pinafore Strap was in the shot, providing and strengthening a continuum of that upward movement to the face and the eyes, from the base of the Photograph.

WW

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Bill I think Anne looks delightful in these shots, particularly no 3. That's a cool pair of glasses she is wearing and there are no reflections off the glass.

Nice work.

Dave

PS I'd leave the hat out of no1 also.

Real Name
    John

Nice efforts, the first thing that catches my eyes are the glasses; nice work on handling any glare in the frames however I think they take too much attention away from the model. The glasses may be apart of her personality, her style, but the glasses and the fashion creates a character more than a formal portrait. I have to believe that for you this series is just an exercise of your photographic skills and for that I'd say the exposure and processing is spot on, the crop positioning of Anne in 1 and 3 is a bit severe, as already mentioned the hat in #1 is out of place. For me I like the second image best, interesting character, nicely posed, good looking background and although very vibrant adds a bit of contrast to Anne's persona.

Real Name
    Bill

Geoff, Manfred, Bill and Dave

Thank you for the excellent feedback. The "hat" shot is now in the trash but I did do a B&W of a different pose in the same setting, that I quite like:

Anne

Manfred: "Hat" is gone ... I completely agree with your second comment, and did confirm by cropping as suggested. However, there are other things in the image that I'm not sure about and it will be re-shot, probably next week. I also completely agree with the suggestions in your third comment, edited version is much better:

Anne

And since I was editing it anyway, I did a mono:

Anne

Bill: I have a reflex preference for tight crops that sometimes inhibits me from standing back and looking at the individual image. Your last comment is correct and has been addressed in the above.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice efforts, the first thing that catches my eyes are the glasses; nice work on handling any glare in the frames however I think they take too much attention away from the model. The glasses may be apart of her personality, her style, but the glasses and the fashion creates a character more than a formal portrait. I have to believe that for you this series is just an exercise of your photographic skills and for that I'd say the exposure and processing is spot on, the crop positioning of Anne in 1 and 3 is a bit severe, as already mentioned the hat in #1 is out of place. For me I like the second image best, interesting character, nicely posed, good looking background and although very vibrant adds a bit of contrast to Anne's persona.
    John

Thanks for these comments. I have shared these shots with a few friends and family and one made the same comment about the glasses. You are correct that there is an element of experiment in this series - I like portraits (and I like mono ...) but this is the first time that I have set out in advance to do a portrait shoot, so all of the feedback has been even more helpful than is the case with the usual good standard here. My intent was indeed to capture the "character" and the eyewear is one of her signature features. I had it in mind to possibly take one with her seated and holding the glasses, and may try that when I go back to reshoot the exterior one.

The last set of alternative images all look good to me.