Thread: More portraits

Real Name
    Mike long

More portraits

I know now, that more DOF could have made for a image.

More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

Ok, that about does it. As you can see, My wife kinda gives me the evil eye when I come walking through the house with a big grin and a camera. Lol...
    She is very patient with me, encourages me and pushes me in all honesty. She bought me my first real camera. I was still using an a compact point and shoot film and my smart phone. She seen that I love and am passionate about photography. Anyway....
    I have laid it out. I want to learn and practice most everyday. If I can't get out and shoot OCF I'm using window light in the house with the kids. How do I improve?

More portraits

More portraits

Just a few other random pics I have taken
    More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

More portraits

I learned all I know from YouTube videos and shooting wide open. And I have never calibrated a lens till the other day and found my most used lens, the 135 mm, needed a +14 adjustment. I look forward to getting out there and shooting OCF at 5.6 and f8.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd September 2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Numbered and separated shots

Real Name
    Ole

Re: More portraits

I like your photos a lot. One thing though, portraits are very hard to master. Ask any keen photographers. The shot of the two children with the water tap is a keeper for mine.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Mike long

That's what I am finding out. I will catch some flack for this and have on other forms. But, I like the work of Drake Busath, Tim Walden and Tim Kelly. The thing is, is that there is no information out there on how it's done. Sure they may show a few studio diagrams but the on location stuff is what I'm after. And then I find myself comparing my stuff to a image that has been processed. I guess I need to start learning Photoshop. Cause I'm sure that Drake Busath images are not just Lightroom.

Real Name
    John

You'd be surprised how much you can do with just Lightroom or Elements, Scott Kelby puts out a good text with processing tips on portraits. When I first searched out a text on both software programs the clerk said that the blurb on each was "tips and tricks of the trade of editing and presenting your photos like a pro, nothing to do with teaching you how to use your camera".

Regarding your images, a good series however there are a few hits and misses mainly in the main focusing area (the eyes and sometimes the entire subject), on a few shots the subjects shoulders are in focus but the eyes are out of focus.