Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Does anyone live here?

Real Name
    Paul David

Does anyone live here?

I went out to do a little fly fishing this afternoon and encountered some high water. The stream I intended to fish is usually low and wadeable this time of year because of water being drawn off for irrigation. We've had some rain recently so the water has been too high to wade. I had to pass on the fishing. I did manage to take some pics on the way back.

I've passed this old trailer and bulldozer many times and have always wondered what story if any it had to tell. There is an old satellite dish so who knows.

Does anyone live here?

Does anyone live here?

Nikki is really enjoying the back seat of the truck. I think she misses her buddy as she has become a lot more clingy.

Does anyone live here?

Real Name
    John

Re: Does anyone live here?

Looks like a scene from Breaking Bad, I would (with reservations) scope out that area with binoculars before approaching. Nice series.

Real Name
    Paul David

John, I know what you mean but in 5 years the only form of life I have seen there has been cattle. It is pretty close to the road so I don't have to wander on the property. My guess is that the structure is used by ranch hands who are generally a nice bunch of guys.

Real Name
    Paul David

More shots of this palatial estate.

Does anyone live here?

Does anyone live here?

Are there any Longmire fans out there?

Does anyone live here?

Real Name
    John

Now you are doing surveillance. Nice additional images.

Real Name
    Paul David

John, thanks. The Netflix series, Longmire takes place in the fictional town of Durant, Wyoming. It was actually filmed in Buffalo, Wyoming. Buffalo is a quaint little western town about 30 minutes from us.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    John, thanks. The Netflix series, Longmire takes place in the fictional town of Durant, Wyoming. It was actually filmed in Buffalo, Wyoming. Buffalo is a quaint little western town about 30 minutes from us.
    I'm a big fan of the Longmire series, I take it in bits and pieces as it is such a well done production; as a photographer who likes to explore the unknown it teaches wariness and awareness of ones surroundings. Keep doing what you are doing but always keep safeness in mind, at the very least let someone know where you plan to be.

Real Name
    Zen

A number of years ago, when camping in Buffalo, Wyo., I was told the town was named after Buffalo, NY. The story I was told is that back before the town had a permanent name, a contest was held to name the place, and everyone was invited to put their suggestion on a slip of paper, add it to the jar, and whatever name was pulled would be the name of the town. As it happened, a traveler from Buffalo, NY was there, and on a whim, added his slip to the jar. His slip was pulled, and the town became Buffalo.

On the occasion when I visited the town, Buffalo China was still in business, and I was acquainted with the co. president. I had a habit of looking at the bottom of restaurant china, and sure enough, the plates were Buffalo China. When I answered the quizzical look of the waitress, she told me this story.

I love that part of the country and often thought I'd like to retire to Sheridan. But I didn't and am now too old to move from the Buffalo, NY area.

Thanks for sharing your images.

Zen

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting set of images, Paul. Nice shot of Nikki.

I like what I've seen of Wyoming aside from the wind. It's the only state with a population lower than Alaska. Though we do still have lower population density per square mile

Real Name
    Paul David

John, I appreciate your concern. I always tell my wife where I am going and she often accompanies me. Actually it is pretty safe here when compared to the Twin Cities. The threat to safety would be encountering a big animal (big cats, moose) or having your car break down in a remote area. I don't wander too far off the beaten path.

Zen, Thanks for the story on how the town got the name, Buffalo. I'll have to remember that one. I don't think Buffalo China is still around.

Dan, it is windy here but not as windy as Livingston, Montana. Nikki seems okay although she does appear to be looking for her friend. She starts training for bird hunting in a few weeks. We'll see how she does. We have never owned a honting dog before. My daughter has a GSP that is a pretty good hunter. Unfortunately my daughter is not that good with a shotgun and refers to her bird hunts as armed hikes. Still it is good to get outside in some beautiful areas.

We're back in Minnesota for the next seven weeks. I'll be ready for another break after that.

Thanks for the comments.

More shots from Buffalo.

1. The Basque people raised sheep and used Border Collies for herding.

Does anyone live here?

2. Murals

Does anyone live here?

Does anyone live here?
    Last edited by LePetomane; 24th September 2017 at 04:12 PM.