Thread: A few from today

Real Name
    Mike long

A few from today

Today was my father's Birthday and so it was picture time!
    A few from today
    My patch job in Photoshop is kinda shotty(took out the big umbrella to the right!!) but with practice..
    What I learned in that book did come in very handy! I knew exactly what to do.
    I got my daughter to sit still for a minute.
    A few from today
    And
    A few from today
    A few from today
    Last edited by Evertking; 6th October 2017 at 09:40 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: A few from today

You are definitely getting your lighting under control.

Next step is to work on your posing and composition.

Real Name
    Sharon

Nice portraits, and happy birthday to your dad.
    Your daughter is cute, but not sure the pose works well. She looks bored or unhappy.
    The first photo of your wife... the Bokah on left side is distracting to me.
    Nice family

Real Name
    Richard

I think that Cheyenne looks absolutely beautiful in image #4. Your dad is really cool in the first image. That should be a wall-hanger...

What can I say? Your daughter's expression is priceless!

Kudos for this set!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I like them all too Mike, nice work. With the second image (your daughter), I would crop in tighter but still leave some darker areas around the edge of the image.

Dave

Real Name
    Bill

Nice se Mike. The one of your Dad is a stand-out though!

Real Name
    Grahame

Good techs, colour and light but I feel the poses look a bit too staged in No 2, 3 and 4.

It almost looks as if you have told the model to maintain that exact position and don't move and they are getting fed up while waiting for you to shoot. That may seem a bit hard but I'm trying to work out what may help, perhaps more intervention and grabbing shots as they move?

Real Name
    Mike long

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Good techs, colour and light but I feel the poses look a bit too staged in No 2, 3 and 4.

It almost looks as if you have told the model to maintain that exact position and don't move and they are getting fed up while waiting for you to shoot. That may seem a bit hard but I'm trying to work out what may help, perhaps more intervention and grabbing shots as they move?
    I hear that all the time and yeah, I'm sure she is fed up lol..
    We stand there and argue on a pose and maybe Google search one.. I'm as green as goose turd and that's the honest truth. I'm standing there working out my exposure then getting my flash exposure and by the time I look up, I'm the only one standing there while everyone else has ran off.
    I don't know, I watched a few videos on posing. Then some say "have her look at the camera" then I get the "have her not look at the camera"
    So I'm up for anything.. i had a friend that has never picked up a camera tell me that everything is too "posed"... I thought that's how it was done. ??? I'm all ears if you got any tips.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Evertking View Post
    So I'm up for anything.. i had a friend that has never picked up a camera tell me that everything is too "posed"... I thought that's how it was done. ??? I'm all ears if you got any tips.
    I don't shoot formal portraits but how about trying to get them to do something, picking flowers or heads off a piece of grass and grabbing shots to try and capture expression? You should have your gear all set up ready and be prepared to move around.

Remember how successful that first pic was with the two girls sat under the tree totally engrossed in their activity and not the camera.

Real Name
    Mike long

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. I like to use off camera flash, to me, it adds something to images that natural light doesn't. But I'm starting to think I should I got the TTL version.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

1. Set up and test your lights before the model gets into position. That is easier said than done in outdoor environments shooting family members.

2. Model experience makes a great deal of difference and that is something both you and they need to practice.

3. The photographer is in charge, not the model, so you need to direct your model. Virtually impossible with young children. Spouses don't always take direction well either.

Real Name
    Richard

A slow photographer bores the subject. I suggest that you might benefit from using a stand-in, such as a mannequin head to practice your camera work and lighting. Enough practice will allow a far faster camera response.
    HINT: the mannequin never gets bored. Her patience is unlimited

As far as exposure, you are probably familiar with the basics but, here are a few exposure control hints in this YouTube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEnAhkL0i38

Real Name
    John

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. I like to use off camera flash, to me, it adds something to images that natural light doesn't. But I'm starting to think I should I got the TTL version.
    Mike, well done on using Flash off camera, way to go. If you haven't already, take a look at Strobist Blog here https://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006...hting-101.html and you won't go wrong.

Your M/cycle image is well composed but maybe improve by angling the flash more to reduce the reflection off the bike.
    The little girl image is fine, to me the expression conveys a look of wonder and vulnerability.

Both images of your partner could benefit from cropping imho, strong highlights on the edge of frame are usually distracting.

Take more shots (eyes to/away, look left/right/up/down etc)and you will get different expressions to choose from as technically it is spot on.

TTL is fine but manual is the preferred Strobist method especially with digital cameras now able to show results straight away and after just a few trials ("Chimping" )you can get flash exposure set.
    A rule of thumb is to underexpose your background by about 0.5-1 stop from your subject, makes them stand out.

Real Name
    John

Nice shots.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Mike ~ Nice set of pics. Your daughter has the same expression as your mate does - pensive but lovely!

I really enjoy the humor you display about your attempts to capture your "subjects"! The suggestions offered in this thread have been helpful to me so I'm appreciative that you've posted your work for critique! Thank you!

Today was my father's Birthday and so it was picture time!
    A few from today
    My patch job in Photoshop is kinda shotty(took out the big umbrella to the right!!) but with practice..
    What I learned in that book did come in very handy! I knew exactly what to do.
    I got my daughter to sit still for a minute.
    A few from today
    And
    A few from today
    A few from today