Thread: Broken old house

Real Name
    Sharon

Broken old house

Left in color. Maybe B&W would be better (or a different angle... especially the straight front on which doesn't really work). Sky seems a bit over saturated. This is one of those properties that are photographed quite frequently, and people have been naughty. At one point, it was going to be torn down, but I guess the daughter bought it and left it for people.

Sadly I have a spot on my sensor and it's driving me nuts (I don't know what I did, hope it's not a burn spot from accidently shooting into the sun). Need to find a shop that can clean a mirrorless sensor.

Broken old house

Broken old house

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Broken old house

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Left in color. Maybe B&W would be better
    That all depends on want you want, Sharon. I think these are superb images as they are (noting what you say about a dust bunny)

I think any decision about whether to convert to B&W is all about the mood and atmosphere you want to create. They would be very different images, not necessarily better.

Would it have been possible to get the first one from an angle that would put the house at the horizon line?

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    Would it have been possible to get the first one from an angle that would put the house at the horizon line?
    Possible maybe (rolling wheat fields). Dangerous.. hmmm. With the issues they have had (theft, people squatting, etc.) I decided I didn't want to risk it.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That all depends on want you want, Sharon. I think these are superb images as they are (noting what you say about a dust bunny)

I think any decision about whether to convert to B&W is all about the mood and atmosphere you want to create. They would be very different images, not necessarily better.
    Thank you Donald. Yes. A B&W conversion may have relayed a more somber mood fitting of the house, yet in color it shows contrasting elements of the golden landscape, blue skies and decrepid old house.

Real Name
    Dennis Brown

When you get into the editing again, try a few shades of sepia. Sometimes these older houses benefit from the B&W and sepia toning. Sometimes folks go overboard, but try it in stages.

I like the subject matter, and I would probably tighten up the image, especially cropping the right side of the first image. I know that folks like horizontal horizons, but the rising hill would add to the composition.

PS - I think that the wheat harvester did you a disservice by cutting around the house and outbuilding. He should have cut the wheat at right angles to the structures.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

These old abandoned buildings intrigue me greatly. I think you have done this one justice given the constraints of access. Rather too bad that a few bad actors have spoiled it for many

Real Name
    Paul David

Sharon, very nice images. A black & white version would be interesting. I wonder if it would bring out the decay and dilapidation more.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Sharon, very nice images. A black & white version would be interesting. I wonder if it would bring out the decay and dilapidation more.
    Thanks pd
    Yeah I think it would give a better mood of the scene. Maybe even IR.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by pendennis View Post
    When you get into the editing again, try a few shades of sepia. Sometimes these older houses benefit from the B&W and sepia toning. Sometimes folks go overboard, but try it in stages.

I like the subject matter, and I would probably tighten up the image, especially cropping the right side of the first image. I know that folks like horizontal horizons, but the rising hill would add to the composition.

PS - I think that the wheat harvester did you a disservice by cutting around the house and outbuilding. He should have cut the wheat at right angles to the structures.
    Thanks for some great suggestions. Some really good ideas. I may play some more with it.
    Yes the wheat is getting cut, and many fields are now raw dirt. Dirty air!

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    These old abandoned buildings intrigue me greatly. I think you have done this one justice given the constraints of access. Rather too bad that a few bad actors have spoiled it for many
    Thank you. I read even some photography groups/tours going out were behaving very badly. There's a lot to see and so many cool old farm structures. I tend to prefer the west side of the state, but was surprised at how much I appreciated this part.

Real Name
    Mike long

I love them!

Real Name
    John

Nice views.

Real Name
    Paul David

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Rather too bad that a few bad actors have spoiled it for many
    That is a shame. There was a dilapidated old barn in Minnesota that made for great photos as it was slowly being consumed by a pond. The owners finally razed it because of potential liability issues with trespassers. The sad thing is that it was easily photographed from the road.

With so much plain blue sky I prefer the panoramic size. Possibly the second image would benefit from a similar crop?

Real Name
    Dennis Brown

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    That is a shame. There was a dilapidated old barn in Minnesota that made for great photos as it was slowly being consumed by a pond. The owners finally razed it because of potential liability issues with trespassers. The sad thing is that it was easily photographed from the road.
    While some of us would honor the boundary, and shoot from the road, there are huge numbers of folks who ignore the boundaries and put themselves at risk.

It's not just the risk, it's also just pure trespassing. In a nearby county, there are a huge number of sunflower fields, and as we all know, they make for great opportunities, especially with clear skies. The land owners had to complain to the police that folks were trespassing, and literally destroying the edges of the fields. Local police have issued a number of trespass citations.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by pendennis View Post
    While some of us would honor the boundary, and shoot from the road, there are huge numbers of folks who ignore the boundaries and put themselves at risk.

It's not just the risk, it's also just pure trespassing. In a nearby county, there are a huge number of sunflower fields, and as we all know, they make for great opportunities, especially with clear skies. The land owners had to complain to the police that folks were trespassing, and literally destroying the edges of the fields. Local police have issued a number of trespass citations.
    Yeah, I do try to respect peoples property for sure. So many opportunities out there where I think "Man if I could just get into that position". But I don't. I move on. In cases like this area, I suppose they expect some tresspass, but when it goes beyond just a little bit of a step onto the property that is a problem.
    We have the same problem here in Skagit. During the Tulip and daf seasons, the farmers hire people to keep people from tromping all over the fields and destroying the flowers. It's their livelihood. Doesn't always help, I've been at some of the major fields, and have seen people walking in, sitting on, picking the tulips. Right next to signs saying please do not go between the rows it destroys our flowers. :-(