Thread: Small Whiteboard Magnet

Small Whiteboard Magnet

Small Whiteboard Magnet

Hopefully you will be able to see a close-up shot of a small whiteboard magnet. I used a Nikkor 60mm Macro lens with a ring light. Would appreciate any comments... especially if there is no picture!
    Last edited by andy1066; 12th October 2017 at 01:37 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Small Whiteboard Magnet

The photo does show up.

You are encountering one of the standard problems of macro photography: narrow depth of field. The bottom of the magnet is in focus, but the top isn't. This is particularly a problem when photographing deep objects like this one. And when you have part of the object out of focus, it often works poorly to have the near surfaces blurry. Blur in the rear areas is sometimes less bothersome.

Given how deep this subject is, there isn't a way to get it all into focus with one shot. You are already closed down to f/20, and an even smaller aperture will start to introduce diffusion. The usual ways of coping are: (1) decrease depth by placing the object more nearly parallel to the sensor, (2) letting areas you don't need in focus go out of focus, or (3) focus stacking.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nicely done

Real Name
    John

Nice one.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by andy1066 View Post
    I used a Nikkor 60mm Macro lens with a ring light. Would appreciate any comments...
    Firstly, welcome to CiC.

As a 'picture' my first concern is that it is cropped a bit tight, top and bottom.

With respect to the DoF this is subjective and my personal view is that a shallower DoF as opposed to having everything in tack sharp focus often produces a much more interesting and pleasing image.

With regard to whether the nearest edges in this image should have been in focus again is subjective. I know what that nearest edge would look like if sharp, uninteresting, what you have achieved is getting the interesting bits in focus, well done.